• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mistahtokyo

Registered
I am attempting to overclock my Core 2 duo e8400 processor from 3.00ghz to 3.60 ghz on a xfx nforce 750i sli motherboard. I have little knowledge when it comes to RAM, and i am unsure of which changes to make in the bios regarding the ram. I raised the fsb to 1600 and i have an option to set the memory fsb, timings, and voltage. The cpu is adequately cooled and passed a prime95 stress test that lasted 6 hours. However, when testing the ram, my computer crashes and now it fails to load windows 7/it crashes frequently.
If there is an obvious/foolish error on my part, please don't deride me for it. I am trying my best to learn how to overclock and I'm hoping that someone will be willing to help.

I use a G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit (Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ)for my ram.

With a FSB of 400MHz x 9 = 3.6GHz...

Code:
FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Linked
FSB - Memory Ratio: Sync Mode or 1:1 = MEM (DDR), Mhz: 800
FSB (QDR), MHz: 1600

Memory Timing Setting: Expert
tCL (CAS Latency): 5
tRCD: 5
tRP: 5
tRAS: 15
Command Per Clock (CMD): 2T

Memory Voltage: 1.9

Thanks for the welcome (and the help! xD). I believe that I have solved the issue. I set the timings to what redduc posted and raised the memory fsb to 914. I then set the memory voltage to 2.0 and increased the northbridge voltage by about .4-.8 volts (I am away from the computer so I'll edit this to be more specific in a few hours, I'll also include the full specs then). Originally, with a 1.90 voltage at 800mhz with these timings the computer failed to start windows. I don't think i had to set the ram to 914 but the faster the better (right?). When i set the memory voltage to two, the computer started up but would crash frequently. It was when i raised the nb voltage that it became more stable, but with some crashed every now and then. I raised the nb some more and now everything seems all right. I used Prime95's blend test to stress the ram and cpu. The last test was about 4-5 hours long with no errors. I can also play a modded Oblivion game with no errors and some apparent improvements in fps. I also changed one more timing option to 28 in the bios, i'll post the info when i get to the computer.
I don't have a 1:1 ratio set up either, would that be all right?

Last edited:
System Specs-
-XFX nForce 750i SLI Motherboard
-G.SKILL DDR2800(PC6400) Ram - 4G(2x2)
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - OCed to 3.60Ghz
-Thermaltake Armor + MX case (medium tower)
-ZALMAN LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler (CNPS9700)
-Ultra LSP 550w Power Supply
-Windows 7 Ultimate
:)

Back