• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L & 6600 OC help plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sorethumbs

I've been searching and searching and wondered if anyone could help me to squeeze some extra juice from my q6600 & gigabyte board

I'm a right beginner but (might be wrong) my chip runs at 9 x 266? making it 2.4Ghz and i understand that i can't change the '9' multiplier. I've tried upping the '266' to somewhere above 300 (forget exactly what it was) this got my speed to just above 3ghz but crashed during gaming.

When i restarted the gigabyte board had set everything back to default and my chip was back to its native 2.4ghz, i guess thats a feature of the board if anything goes wrong.

I know there are other settings such as voltages & ram i should be changing but i'm really unsure what i should be doing with those and can't seem to find any guide on how to do it specifically with my board AND chip

My chip
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB
Board
Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L iG31
Ram
Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Kit CL5 1.9V

and i have an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro cooler

Any tips would be appreciated, keep it simple (i'm a bit simple myself!)

cheers
phil

1st off, :welcome: to the forums..you have come to the right place to squeeze some performance from your cpu. there is an excelent tutorial on overclocking the quads and core 2 duo's. You can find it click here

The guide is a bit long, but worth the read, and I keep going to it myself just to see if I missed anything, or more acurately anything I forgot.
Good Luck...I know you can get it to 3gig's without crashing.

Back