• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from 8600GT help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InnovaRayearth

Recently I moved 700 miles and apparently my graphics card didn't make the trip as my computer would not boot until i removed the card. I have not tried all that hard to get it to work as I see this as an excuse to finally upgrade.

CPU = AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 4600+
Motherboard = Biostar N68SA-M2T Socket AM2
PCI-E / AGP = PCIE (1.0 i believe)
RAM = 2048 Mbytes (purchasing another 2 gigs with the new grafx card)
PSU = 680W
Current Video Card = Was 6800GT, now dead.

I'd like this card to last at least a year but the longer the better, meaning a lifetime warranty wouldn't hurt but not a requirement. I will be using it to play Starcraft2 and Fallout 3 new vegas primarily.

I have been scouring Newegg for a few days looking at reviews for the Radeon 5770, the Fermi 460, and many other cards and see so many issues with compatibility, overheating(which is an issue, i live in the desert where it gets 100+ degrees F in the summer), white residue on some XFX cards(think it was the 5770), or problems with artifacts and vertical lines.

I don't want to spend more than $200 not including shipping etc, and I can't make myself choose. I've only ever built one other computer so I'm hoping to get multiple opinions on this card purchase. Thanks in advance.

It snot much, but its there. Especially when pouring on the eye candy. If the OP is from the same country you are, you have a point. The difference here is $50, or $30 with MIR. ;)

It snot much, but its there. Especially when pouring on the eye candy. If the OP is from the same country you are, you have a point. The difference here is $50, or $30 with MIR. ;)
yea I must say is a big diference to me 90-100dls because I have to pay shipping from US to Guatemala and it feels the punch :cry:

that 460gtx is really overpowered for your cpu
if you do jump on a 460, it would help a lot to get a new socket/cpu. i bet you can find ddr2 790f/gx or 770 and a phenom 2 processor

you'd notice it especially on sc2, which is an extremely cpu bound game

Recently I moved 700 miles and apparently my graphics card didn't make the trip as my computer would not boot until i removed the card. I have not tried all that hard to get it to work as I see this as an excuse to finally upgrade.

CPU = AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 4600+
Motherboard = Biostar N68SA-M2T Socket AM2
PCI-E / AGP = PCIE (1.0 i believe)
RAM = 2048 Mbytes (purchasing another 2 gigs with the new grafx card)
PSU = 680W
Current Video Card = Was 6800GT, now dead.

I'd like this card to last at least a year but the longer the better, meaning a lifetime warranty wouldn't hurt but not a requirement. I will be using it to play Starcraft2 and Fallout 3 new vegas primarily.

I have been scouring Newegg for a few days looking at reviews for the Radeon 5770, the Fermi 460, and many other cards and see so many issues with compatibility, overheating(which is an issue, i live in the desert where it gets 100+ degrees F in the summer), white residue on some XFX cards(think it was the 5770), or problems with artifacts and vertical lines.

I don't want to spend more than $200 not including shipping etc, and I can't make myself choose. I've only ever built one other computer so I'm hoping to get multiple opinions on this card purchase. Thanks in advance.

What resolution is your monitor? What country are you in?

Thanks a lot for all the replies

I live in America and my desktop resolution is 1280 x 1024.

I'd consider a new CPU if if makes as big a difference for SC2 as you claim but how much should i expect to pay for a new CPU that is fast enough to make a GTX 460 worth it? The reason I ask is I would rather not spend more than an additional $100 for a new CPU. I'm also wondering if replacing my CPU and adding a GTX460 will warrant an upgrade to my PSU. If I did decide to stick with my current CPU what graphics card would be more fitting?

I am worried about some compatibility issues due to the fact that some motherboards aren't able to deliver the power required to use certain AMD processors. Also of concern is that the BIOS of my motherboard may have no way to recognizing an AM2+ processor without a BIOS update which I'm sure I could google just fine but I have read there is the possibility of turning your computer into a brick if you do it wrong.

I sincerely appreciate how many responses I have received, so quickly at that. Thanks everyone.

P.S.

A long time ago I had someone suggest I stick my old graphics card in the oven to fix it. Originally I thought he was trolling me but I have since read multiple people giving this advice. Would any of you recommend this? It would be nice to have my old card work if for no other reason than for a fallback or testing whether a future problem is related to the graphics card.

I live in America and my desktop resolution is 1280 x 1024.

I'd consider a new CPU if if makes as big a difference for SC2 as you claim but how much should i expect to pay for a new CPU that is fast enough to make a GTX 460 worth it? The reason I ask is I would rather not spend more than an additional $100 for a new CPU. I'm also wondering if replacing my CPU and adding a GTX460 will warrant an upgrade to my PSU. If I did decide to stick with my current CPU what graphics card would be more fitting?

Well, at that low of a resolution, a GTX 460 would just be crying out for more CPU power. You'd probably get better results with a $120ish GPU and spending the rest on a processor.

So around $120 GPU..

Around that price range I see mostly Radeon 4870, Radeon 5750, or 5770 assuming rebates go through.

I'm specifically eyeing these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858

As for CPUs I am completely relying on the opinions of you guys. A 4870-5770 Radeon seems like it would suit my purposes fine but I'm having a really hard time choosing which company to go with as I usually check out the 1 or 2 egg reviews to see if there are common driver errors or compatibility problems.

I tend to think a lot of people rate their cards as awesome when they work right off the bat and then never come back to update their review when their cards die 6 months later. As sad as it may sound, i would really like someone with a little more expertise to tell me which of the above cards seems like the best bet, and advice on a PCU upgrade would also be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure you listed the right motherboard model? Biostar doesn't seem to have it listed on their site.

Back