• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To OC Stock 1600Mhz RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Obersturmfuhrer

I've done a quite a bit of research into RAM and how to relates to various OC settings, but I haven't found a plain answer to this question: Is it possible to OC RAM above it's factory-rated speed? For instance, I have 6GB Corsair XMS 1600Mhz RAM, rated at the common 1.65v, with timing as 9-9-9-24.

If at all possible, I'd like to OC the RAM a bit more, perhaps to 2000Mhz. From the research that I've done I don't think it is possible, however a slight (30-50Mhz) OC is possible. I recall one OC I performed the ram speed was about 1650, and the system was stable.

If this is at all possible, how would one go about doing it? Increasing voltage? thanx,

Of course you can overclock your RAM but you typically end up having to sacrifice latency which probably has more of an impact on the performance than the actual frequency. IMHO you don't get a noticeable difference in system performance from overclocking your RAM but you definitely can affect your system's stability. The only gains will be in synthetic benchmarks...

When overclocking RAM look at which other products a company offers. If you have 1600MHZ RAM and the company offers an 1800MHZ product, I can pretty much guarantee that 1799MHZ is going to be the highest point you can reach with that 1600MHZ RAM.

Overclocking memory beyond specifications is usually possible without any voltage or timing adjustment needed to a certain degree, with high quality memory. I'd say a 5% overclock is what you should shoot for without having to move the memory outside of manufacturers voltage and timings specifications (1680MHZ for a DDR3-1600MHZ) Once you get into adjusting voltages and timings you are probably getting into a less-returns situation.

Not every memory module will overclock the same. Memory controllers, CPU quality, board design and a lot of factors play into how memory will overclock. On AMD CPU's I have seen one CPU on a Crosshair IV, which has the channels split so the memory doesn't have to sit next to each other, allow me to push my 1333MHZ OCZ Gold to 1500MHZ, no problem. An MSI board with the same CPU mounted that keeps the memory next to each other in the sockets won't post with the memory above 1400MHZ. So, with memory overclocking the quality of other components is paramount.

Well, I have my other components listed in my signature so based off of them what would you analysis be, and if i DID manage to OC the ram to lets say 1800-2000Mhz from 1600, would there be even a bit of performance (noticeable) increase?

Wow thank you so much for enlightening me all-knowing King of Wisdom. :clap:

No need to be sarcastic, I'm just answering your question for the second time. If you had read my first post I already explained why. Its your hardware, do whatever you want with it. Just dont expect to gain much from OCing your RAM other than instability. :thup:

Well, I have my other components listed in my signature so based off of them what would you analysis be, and if i DID manage to OC the ram to lets say 1800-2000Mhz from 1600, would there be even a bit of performance (noticeable) increase?
Frankly, no. (Like King said twice! :p).

The differences show in benchmarking and thats about it. most things done on the PC are not saturating hte bandwidth already so increasing it isnt going to help.

Let me put it another way... Think of a garden hose and firehose. Obviously hte garden hose is bigger and can allow more water to flow through it, however, if its only flowing at 1GPM and the garden hose can handle it, it wont come out any faster from a fire hose.

Obersturmfuhrer If you want to OC RAM even more just copy my timings or loosen it increace the RAM voltage to 2V or even more if it can handle it then just OC also make sure your CPU handle the clock speed cause OC FSB increases CPU frequency just increase CPU voltage too and I think you can get 1866 for RAM

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-12800cl9d-8gbxl This is the RAM I am using
http://valid.canardpc.com/2852987 Proof
I slightly loosened the timing so it will be able to run at this speed 11-13-13-28
Original timing 9-9-9-24
I over voltaged RAM to 2.46V (1.5V) stock
Running at 2052 (1026.8 MHz) and in dual channel
And lol who says we can't OC 1600 RAM over 1866. :thup:

But is it really doing anything for you other than stroking your e-peen?
And let me know how that voltage on the ram works out for you in about a week. ;)

Obersturmfuhrer If you want to OC RAM even more just copy my timings or loosen it increace the RAM voltage to 2V or even more if it can handle it then just OC also make sure your CPU handle the clock speed cause OC FSB increases CPU frequency just increase CPU voltage too and I think you can get 1866 for RAM

Be aware thread is almost three years old..................

I'm sure it will work 7/24 and it also increased my RAM bench marks allot after I OC it
I'll tell you if it doesn't work after a week

Success!

I managed to take my Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 RAM to 1866 without changing my DRAMv. I simply followed the clock timing of the similar 1866 model and benched perfectly and gave me even better in game frame rates and allowed my PC to do more at start up.
It's hilarious because I hear the Skype start up sound at the same time as Origin. XD

Specs:
i7 3770K @4.4GHz
8GB (4GB x2) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 @ 1866MHz
Asus Maximus V Gene
Nvidia GTX 460 @980MHz
750w Power supply
1TB Seagate 7200RPM

Back