• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 975 Extreme, MSI Eclipse Plus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phenetix

Hello all! First time posting here. Wondering just where I can take this mobo processor in the terms of OC'ing.

Core i7 975 Extreme Edition
MSI Eclipse Plus Mobo
12g Corsair Dominator

Water cooled on the CPU only the rest has fans but temp has never been an issue.

The only issues I have had pre OC'ing is stability on the system. I can post up Everest reports if/as needed.

Thanks to all in advance who can help!

That's a pretty high end board and definitely high end CPU so depending on your water cooling setup, about 4.3 to 4.5ghz. Whats seems to be the problem you are particularly having with stability?

Sorry it took me so long to get back here... I was away with the National Guard.

The problem IS stability. I was having stability issues since I updated a bios about 3 months ago. I get random restarts and bsod's. Everything in my bios right now is set to AUTO. I am sure the problem lies in some voltage or ratio somewhere. I thought if I just overclock I could solve the problem. I think I am undercutting some power somewhere by leaving things on AUTO. I can post up CPUID or everest reports... I am sure it would help. Just let me know what you need to see.

Thanks again

Make sure to take off all power saving features off. Put all your components in your signature like me. Tell me what setting you are using for what CPU speed. I need a lot more info.

cpu1.jpg

cpu2.jpg

cpu3.jpg

cpuid4.jpg

My System:
Core i7 975 Extreme Edition
Corsair Dominator 2g x 6
MSI Eclipse Plus
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
2x250gb Raptor Sata - RAID 0
850 watt PSU XFX

I disable C-State and EIST and boot splash screen. What other power saving features should I do? I would like to see if I can get this stable at 4ghz.

For 4ghz start out at 1.3v on the CPU. Set the memory at 1333mhz with it's factory specs. Bump the multiplier to around 4ghz area. Pump the VTT voltage to around 1.3v and disable spread spectrum. Then test for stability. Tell me what happens. Make sure memory is at factory specs, usually 1.65 volts. Cpu PLL 1.8 volts. Make the memory timings manual, not auto. You really don't want anything on auto.

ok had two freezes since my last post. I disabled spread spectrum. I currently have my multiplier at 25 and base clock at 160. What is VTT and how do I set it. Also, CPU 1.8 seems to be my auto setting. I cant manually set it to 1.8v if I go up its higher and below auto is lower. My current memory timings are 9-9-9-24

cpu4.jpg

cpu5.jpg

You might want to take a look at my overclocking guide (linked in my sig)....should help you out with the basics on what voltages are important, and the first steps in OCing ;)

Nice rig...good luck and keep us posted :)

Thanks... please let me know if this sounds correct

Bclk 160
2N Memory Timing
9-9-9-24
Mem Ratio 4
Uncore 8
DRAMv 1.65
QPIv 1.30
I still have the CPUv, CPU PLL, and a few other things on AUTO... I know auto is not the way to go for stability... using the above settings should my cpuv be 1.3?

Back