• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cisco PIX 515e tftp error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

insanemonkey

At work I have a PIX 515e running 8.0(2). I been have trying to update asdm on it, to get rid of the issue where after your go over a year of uptime asdm no longer works correctly. I got one of my PIXs updated and it is working correctly.

When I try to update this one I get a tftp error that is listed at the end of this post. I checked and I have plenty of space in flash to load the image. I have not been able to find anything on the error.

Error:
PIX-DOWN# copy tftp flash

Address or name of remote host [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]?

Source filename [asdm-61551.bin]?

Destination filename [asdm-61551.bin]?

Accessing tftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/asdm-61551.bin...!!!
%Error reading tftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/asdm-61551.bin (Wrong block number.)

Last edited:
First problem: YOU'RE USING SDM!!!! ARrrgh I hate SDM. Needs more IOS.

Sorry. I don't have a real solution to your problem :/. I'm interested in hearing the solution if you find one, though!

Kisses,
Brian

First problem: YOU'RE USING SDM!!!! ARrrgh I hate SDM. Needs more IOS.

Sorry. I don't have a real solution to your problem :/. I'm interested in hearing the solution if you find one, though!

Kisses,
Brian

I use the CLI for everything important. The only thing I like about ASDM is that it has nice little graphs that will tell me the top network users for the day. I have been working on getting cacti running, but I can't seem to get the information I want out of it. But that is probably a topic for another thread.

I have not been able to find out anything on the error either. It seems I am one of the only people to run into it.I might try and download another image from Cisco today. I already tried pulling the one from my working PIX and I got the same results.

Don't know if this is feasible for you business, but a Technical Assistance from Cisco (TAC) case is usually a surefire way to resolve wierd problems like this. I wasn't on the procurement side, so I don't really know how much it costs.

I take it there are no hardware differences between the two PIX devices? And the TFTP server is the same for both of them?

Sorry I can't be more help,
Drew

Both devices are the same. I would open up a TAC, but someone let our contract slip and we do not have a new one yet.

If both devices are the same and you REALLY want it to work then copy all of the unique information you need from the malfunctioning device (IP's on the LAN/DG's/etc etc) on a piece of paper and load the config of the other device on the malfunctioning device. Revise all of the other device's IP's and such with the ones that you copied down. If this doesn't work the device could be bad and require servicing.

Just a shot in the dark.

Brian

IMO Id try this. get a new CF card (really any card will do, Id do Sandisk personally) and copy the new images to it from a PC, then stick it it the cisco and see what happens. if you have enough room just copy the new and the stuff off the existing flash so you can revert easily if you need to. If it boots properly, then roll to the new flash and your done.

Just did something like this in an ASA5505 last week. worked like a charm (and now it has a 2gig flash lol)

Back