• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suggestions on OC for 930D on Asus p5ld2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcgrizzein

Im new to overclocking, this is the first system I have had that has OC capabilities. So I finally decided to manually overclock my system rather than let the AI booster proggy that came with my board do it, and I am glad of it so far. Systems specs are

Kingwin 92mm 4 pipe Heatsink
Pentium 930D 2x2mb
Asus p5ld2 mobo
2gb (4x512) crucial PC-5300
EVGA 8800GTS SC 320mb
500w PS

I was wondering why my system was seeming sluggish after I installed the AI booster utility, and why my temps were so high, 46c at idle and seeming to bouncing off thermal throttle at 60-61c under load. I tried this and that and nothing seemed to help except putting my open case on the AC vent. So one day i got tired of lagging in game and decided to check my bios, thats when I see, Vcore 2.3v!!!! WHOA this processor is rated for 1.3v max! The "auto" settings in the AI booster program and WAY too aggressive with voltages. So I manually set the voltages for everything as low as they would go and set a mild overclock and presto 6-8c drop in temps over old settings at stock speeds. Then I started raising the FSB speed by increments of 1 and stress testing, Im using FarCry for stability testing now since that is what I use the system for primarily. Its stable on any setting that doesnt freeze the computer up immediately it seems. I could only push it to 3.345ghz (15x223) at 15x224 it would freeze the system. It would always post with these settings though. So I bumped up the vcore voltage to 1.1625 and still froze at 15x224. Set vcore back to 1.15v, bumped the RAM from 1.8v to 1.95v. Couldnt even get the 3.345ghz I was getting before and froze at 15x223. So at this point im pretty sure the ram is bottlenecking my system as it is running 200+mhz above rated speed (sweet crucial memory). So Im running the CPU at 1.15v its idling @ 40c, memory is at 1.8v staying at around 35c (I do have cooling on it) and min voltages for everything else. At this point is trying to get more speed by adjusting the MCH, ICH or FSB termination voltage worth it? I also havent tried messing with the ram timings as I cant find them for my chips. So any suggestions are welcome and if I decide to mess around with the other voltages I will post the results.

There is a program called CPU-Z that will tell you what your cpu is rated at, what it's running at, but also the mem...it will tell you what the SPD chip says about what the ram is rated for as far as timings vs frequency.
That crucial mem you got there probably has those famous BH5 Micron chips...unless you can back off the mem speed while keeping the same FSB, you possibly could get a few more mhz out of that old pup. Keeping them cool was the hard part (presscott right?)

Prime95 is a good stress test for cpu and mem, and in the overclocking world, 7 or 10 hrs of prime95 running without the worker stopping (crashing) is considered stable.
Both these programs are free on the net, and easy to find with Google or any other search engine.
It seems though that you have a decent overclock going already.
Hope this helps,
Doc

P,S. :welcome: to the Forums :cool:

Back