• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reference Build: EVGA SR-2 "Computing" Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jmtyra

line.png

Table of Contents
line.png

Introduction
Latest News
Build Log Progress
Performance
External Resources
Pictures

line.png

Introduction
line.png

Well folks, we're at it again! The previous reference build didn't meet our expectations, so we're trying again with a completely different setup.

:thup:

This time around, we'll focus less on the hardware compatibilities regarding setup and such, as there are
plenty of SR-2 reference sources to be had around the web. Instead, we'll focus on the fun stuff, like lots of pictures and how to get the best ppd possible.

Our victim candidate SR-2 board (
paid for, not a review "freebie") is a 270-WS-W555-A1 and should arrive around 10/18/10 ~ 10/19/10 10/20/10 or so. :clap:

As always, the other DC teams are welcome to request any tests or benchmarks for their associated clients, and we'll be happy to oblige. We're all one big happy OCF family, right?

:grouphug:

line.png

Latest News
line.png

• The recent (first half of Oct 2010) lack of availability of the SR-2 was due to a packaging change. 270-WS-W555-A1, no longer available/in stock, comes with the ECP v3 in the box. The 270-WS-W555-A2 does not come with the ECP v3 in the box. (See this post in this thread by an EVGA Product Manager)

line.png

Build Log Progress
line.png

10/19/2010 -- System received 10/19. Initial unboxing, wiring and installation complete with pictures. Updated the BIOS. Initial testing: Just playing with the bclk, was able to get to ~3.8Ghz! Had to back down to ~3.5Ghz to leave it stable and fold overnight.

10/20/2010
-- Posted initial PPD numbers from HFM on the ~3.5Ghz OC. More reading today, thanks to MIAHALLEN on the reference material.

BIOS configuration from trial & error/external resources:

• NUMA = Off (Folding specific)
  • UMA = On (As of latest BIOS, cannot find this setting! Folding specific)
  • DO NOT turn off USB 1.1 legacy support
    • The BIOS would not recognize my keyboard with this turned off
  • QPI Voltage = VTT
  • CPU Config page: Max CPUID
    • Max CPUID = Off
    • Virtualization = Off
    • VT-d = Off
    • Coherency Support = Off
    • Execute-Disable Bit = Off
    • Intel HT = On (obviously)
    • Active Cores = All (obviously)
    • A20M = Disabled
    • SpeedStep = Enabled (Required to enable TurboMode)
    • TurboMode = Enabled
    • C-STATE = Disabled
    • ACPI T State = Disabled
  • Voltage Config
    • CPUx VDroop = Off (Without VDroop)
    • "Bootup" and "Eventual" V should be equal (NOT yet verified)
  • ---------------------------------

Windows settings:

• Windows 7/Server 2008
    • Control Panel -> Power Options -> Set profile to "High Performance" (disables CPU throttling)

line.png

Performance
line.png

line.png

External Resources
line.png

line.png

Pictures
line.png

All pictures can be found here: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/14271408_n7tCu

Remember, safety first! Gloves and safety glasses were used most of the time. :thup:

1055401323_TS9LX-M.png

Last edited:
Jmtyra,

Are you going to use this thread for discussion, or create another thread to link to?

-just asking, if you're going to do a separate thread I'll delete my post. ;)

Both, as I'm lazy. ;)

I'll use the overall format of the previous reference build, minus the separation within posts. The discussion will be this thread, minus the first post. Which, btw, any/all discussion & feedback is greatly appreciated. :D

The pertinent information gleamed from the discussion will be updated into the first post, so that it'll easily be accessible to those accessing the thread. However, anyone can also "dig into" the historical conversation and see how information came to be, or what the process was to ascertain different pieces of information.

:thup:

Guess what present the FedEx driver just delivered?!? OH YUS! Daddy's excited. :D

Pictures to follow of the unboxing and such. After I clean the drool off the board, that is. :p

Pfff its been an hour an change, where the pix at? Who's unboxing these things, steven hawking? :p

Last edited:
Ca'mon man!!!! Maybe he's taking pics as he assembles and will be ready to show it in action shortly. :)

Added more pictures. Fan power wiring is a mess, but it's OK for now.
Powering up soon, and going to start OC'ing to see where I can get.

Wish me luck. :D

So wait, one twin CPU rig like this will pull 100k+ PPD? Seems like a steal to me...

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if you used those top end 32nm quad core stomping machine whatever they are with a heavy OC, you could come pretty close to 200k PPD I think...

Oh if only the rig didn't cost so much I'd be planning my way back into folding!

Last edited:
Got W2k3 R2 installed, download FAH + RealTemp, and started FAH -bigadv -smp 16 -verbosity 9.

Two problems, if anyone has some feedback?
1) Was excited, as I got a P2685 aka bigadv WU, but it's only showing 250001 steps. According to Stanford's page, I thought these bigadvs were 1m+? Is it really a bigadv, or not? (Needing something to do the benchmarks on w/TPF and such. :()
2) RealTemp (using RealTemp GT) only shows four cores. Not sure if it's only 1 CPU, or 1/2 from one and 1/2 from the other. Makes me nervous not seeing all of the temps. I'll try another temp program to see if I can duplicate the issue.

@Kona -- It depends on the CPUs used. If I get in the 80k~100k ballpark I'll be ecstatic, as I'm using the cheapest 56xx series Xeon @ 2.4Ghz stock, before I start the OC.

The folks at [H]ard|Forum have some rigs pushing ~170k w/o GPUs, but those are the higher-end hex core Xeons (which I can't afford).

We'll see how things go. :thup:

Ok, yes 2685 is a bigadv.
on the realtemp...
I own a E759, E758, E757, And SR-2....and everyone of them is about 12 c off
another words If your board is showing 12 c... add 12 so 24 c is what you would be seeing

Got W2k3 R2 installed, download FAH + RealTemp, and started FAH -bigadv -smp 16 -verbosity 9.

Two problems, if anyone has some feedback?
1) Was excited, as I got a P2685 aka bigadv WU, but it's only showing 250001 steps. According to Stanford's page, I thought these bigadvs were 1m+? Is it really a bigadv, or not? (Needing something to do the benchmarks on w/TPF and such. :()
2) RealTemp (using RealTemp GT) only shows four cores. Not sure if it's only 1 CPU, or 1/2 from one and 1/2 from the other. Makes me nervous not seeing all of the temps. I'll try another temp program to see if I can duplicate the issue.

@Kona -- It depends on the CPUs used. If I get in the 80k~100k ballpark I'll be ecstatic, as I'm using the cheapest 56xx series Xeon @ 2.4Ghz stock, before I start the OC.

The folks at [H]ard|Forum have some rigs pushing ~170k w/o GPUs, but those are the higher-end hex core Xeons (which I can't afford).

We'll see how things go. :thup:
Project ID: 2685
Core: GRO-A3
Credit: 8955
Frames: 100

Name: x58smp
Path: G:\mpich\
Number of Frames Observed: 118

Min. Time / Frame : 00:28:37 - 40,230.8 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:31:12 - 35,339.1 PPD

2685 are bigadv with over a mil atoms..

Ok, yes 2685 is a bigadv.
on the realtemp...
I own a E759, E758, E757, And SR-2....and everyone of them is about 12 c off
another words If your board is showing 12 c... add 12 so 24 c is what you would be seeing
Nice selection of hardware there man -- hope those are folding for Team 32! :D :p

You might wanna try CoreTemp -- I swapped to that and it seems to be accurate. Plus it shows all of the cores. (So weird seeing 8 temps in the sys tray).

oh, Love your tools in the first pick...... :)
and im not talking about the gloves and saftey glasses
OC'ing and computer builds can be fun, with the right tools. :thup:

2685 are bigadv with over a mil atoms..
Yup, not sure what the deal was. Did a re-boot after applying the latest BIOS, and it re-downloaded a different WU; P6701 R127 C24 G3, but it's showing it as 2m?!?

Surely I'm just looking at this wrong. Screen shot attached. Am I just crazy?
Edit: Ignore the time stamp "jump", I had to set the system time.

Attachments

• P6701.png
    P6701.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,452
Back