• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Matrix HD5870 Platinum Crossfire verification?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benny d.

Registered
Ok, have the cards in PCIe slots 1 and 3 using all 32 pipes. Latest Catalyst drivers installed and of course the ribbon cable on the cards with all necessary power to the board and cards from the PSU. I'm using the HDMI out from the card in slot 1 and in the Catalyst Control Center's "enable Crossfire" box is checked but: the diagnostics are blank, the "Identify GPU" just displays a blue '1' on the screen, and when using Steam it says I have no Crossfire on my system... The Windows device manager also sees the second card and says it's functioning properly so is this just a matter of certain software checks not detecting it but hardware-wise I'm fine? Any tests anyone could recommend to let me know that extra $500 I spent is helping it's brother inside my case...?

Run 3dmark03, then disable crossfire and run 3dmark03 again. It scales quite well with multiple cards so it'll be very noticeable.

Run 3dmark03, then disable crossfire and run 3dmark03 again. It scales quite well with multiple cards so it'll be very noticeable.

Excellent, if that works i could care less what anything else says... Thanks!

Ok, so I ran the test with it enabled and got a much higher score than with Xfire disabled, so that worked... BUT, now, after I enabled Xfire again my desktop display is noticeably dimmer and now when I run 3DMark03 again I get these terrible lighter and darker horizontal lines tearing up and down the screen... WHAT NOW...?!

I would try a different crossfire interconnect cable thingie for starters, you can get weeeeird issues with those if they aren't happy.
What you're describing is called Artifacting, and it means that something, somewhere, is not happy. If a different cable doesn't fix it, try one notch older drivers.

Ugh, still haven't tried an older driver but I checked the cable and it seems fine... I also disabled Xfire again and 3DMark runs smooth. Why the heck would it work perfectly in Xfire the first time I ran it, I don't get it...?

Odds are something isn't seated right, or the cable ate it. I'd try a different one.

I have a problem as well when re-enabling cx in CCC. I got a black screen with no displays after reenabling crossfire. removing and reinstalling drivers and CCC works normally again.
Might as well minimize the enable re-enable crossfire in CCC since drivers would start getting corrupted if you do it quite often. I did not disable my cx again after this issue.

I have a problem as well when re-enabling cx in CCC. I got a black screen with no displays after reenabling crossfire. removing and reinstalling drivers and CCC works normally again.
Might as well minimize the enable re-enable crossfire in CCC since drivers would start getting corrupted if you do it quite often. I did not disable my cx again after this issue.

I'm not going to disable it again either!

But check this out, I swapped cards in the slots, checked their seating and everything, used drive sweeper on what i think was 10.8 then put on 10.9 CCC. Problem persisted?!

Ok, then I just went into CCC looking how to disable the Catalyst AI, which I never really found and I heard it pukes on some games/apps, but I did just find a "restore default settings", so I hit it, didn't think it would do anything... Then, BAM. As soon as I hit it the screen became brighter, then I decided to run 3DMark03 again and I got a higher score than I had previously when it recognized two GPUs. Don't know whether it was the switch of the cards or maybe some driver snafu... Should you use 10.9 drivers for your XF, maybe not (a lot of people hate on current drivers for various reason which are not entirely unreasonable)? But I just wanted to post that what may have worked for me appeared to be a simple settings reset, when I thought I might have mobo problems, no way man! I'm not digging that thing out of my case!!!

Anyways, don't forget the simple stuff, it worked for me and my system SCREAMS and I haven't overclocked anything yet...! (but I definitely will my friends) See you with some benchmarks soon.

This man sounds like he needs to join the benching team.

Bob how did you not notice this?

You want to push that hardware to the max? Than take it to the max. Those cards laugh at your puny attempts to push them. The Blue lights are its way of saying "Psshh I could do this on idle speeds, wait I am!"

Take out that iTracker software and feed them some power! Run up those fans to the max and watch them lift off the ground.

can you tell me what is your 3d mark vantage GPU score in crossfire matrix platinum card ?
i have one of these and i want to go crossfire ..... its around 24000 gpu score or more ??
thanx

can you tell me what is your 3d mark vantage GPU score in crossfire matrix platinum card ?
i have one of these and i want to go crossfire ..... its around 24000 gpu score or more ??
thanx

well, the "3DMarks" total was right around 114000, I only own the freebee 3DMark03 version, is there a way to determine the GPU score from that number cause I'm probably not buying the full version...

The first time I ran it I got around 96000 so ignorantly I'm assuming I'm doing aight... right? I'm ready to start cranking stuff so if you have some "safe" advise I can get number back to you before long.

Back