• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recent upgrade to i7. Advice needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

japgar07

I just recently purchased:

i7 930 (batch# 3019A740),
6bg mushkin redline pc1600,
asus rampage III formula mobo.
EVGA gtx 465

Upgrade from: (purchased 2007)

Core 2 duo e6600 @ 3.4ghz (3 years stable)
Abit ab9 quadgt
2 gb G.skill pc2-6400
PNY 8800gtx

I was limited on cash and wanted to start a decent build without sacrificing quality components, initially. I plan to add more in the future, ie SSD, case, additonal gtx 465 or new GPU. Now I did not decide to upgrade my PSU. I was hoping that my Corsair HX620, which has run like a champ for the past 3 years would fit the bill. However, after reading a lot about overlocking the i7's as well as degredation of PSU output over time I am getting a little uneasy about pushing my new system on this older PSU. Should I start out with a panzy OC, bclk ~ 150 and wait till I get the funds for a newer higher watt PSU or should I say screw and give it my all.

Also, if I should try for the 4.0ghz with this new system, how can I tell if it is my mobo timings that are causing instability and not the PSU?

I should be receiving my parts on Tuesday.

Thanks,

That PSU should be fine, corsair makes very, very good units.
PSU caused instability will happen when you load both the gpu and the cpu heavily if it is going to happen.
If/when you get to the point of a second gtx965 i would sell the 620 and buy a nice new shiny 750w corsair.

Back