• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Query about Windows Server 2003

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jonny125

Registered
Hi there, I've recently installed Windows Server 2003 on my old Dell computer with the intention of using it as a private file server.

I'm slowly getting to grips with server management and am currently writing a logon script, my query is, once I have the logon script working on my server and other desktop PC's (within my LAN), would I say be able to logon to the server (like I do in the LAN) from outside of the LAN? for example in spain? (im based in the UK).

My intention is to be able to watch (preferably stream) my films/music files when I'm abroad. I assume because I'd be the only user my server machine doesn't have to be particularly well spec'd - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance :)

What do you mean by logon scripts, what are you writing scripts to do?

Yes you can logon over the internet just like from a local LAN as long as you configure your router/firewall properly.

Video streaming over the internet is going to be highly dependent on the internet connection of your server and how much upload bandwidth it has available. (and the download bandwidth where ever you are streaming to obviously)

Im writing the logon scipt to be able to access my files and resources on my server elsewhere (its also part of a college assignment). My upload speed from the server is approx. 512kb/s, In your opinion would you say that is enough? (for streaming one movie file at a time)

512kb/s is bare enough. If you're streaming it over the Internet, assume at least half of that throughput to anticipate packet losses. As it is, it is not enough for HD videos...

512KB will be a painful for streaming, and as mentioned, HD is out of the question at that speed.

Also, a login script does not correlate to remote access to a server. Logon scripts are generally for mapping drives or printers and such when you logon.

For remote access methods I would recommend a VPN, easiest way to connect remotely, securely, and allow full access to files and folders. Since you are using windows this is pretty easy to setup however you will need to make changes to your firewall to forward specific ports to the server. What model/brand is your firewall?

Also what is your assignment exactly?

hmmm by the sounds of it I might be better off just setting it up for FTP then. The relevant part of assignment that I was hoping to be able to run 'sort of' parrallell to this setup is to write a logon script for a server that other terminals will be able to login to and use/initiate the resources of that server (anti-virus, email clients etc), this would be within a lan though.

Seems i aimed a little high, thanks for the feedback!

Back