• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Thought

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TorqueRanger

Years ago i did some playing around with electricity and water and found out that water in it's basic state is non- conductive .So my point is that can't you just put a mb and everything in deionized distilled water to help cool everything???

It's been done, turns out that deionized water will pick up enough ions from the board and such to become conductive enough to cause issues in about 15-20 minutes.

Water, pure water, is incredibly corrosive, like holy *&#@*%, it etches glass even!

Good thought though, far as i know it's only been tested once. It'd be interesting to see it re-tested after doing something like running the parts through the dishwasher a few times, then a few times without soap.

You have to constantly be filtering the water over and over for it stay non-conductive.

It could work if you had an WEDM machine laying around since they constantly filter the water so it is always non conductive.

Where I work we do tons of EDM work and they have filters and chillers that would just be tons of fun to play with :shock:

You could toss a bunch of DI resin in, that'd soak up the ions for a while if you circulated the water through it.

because water is conductive , if it wasnt cool movies with water and electricity scenes wouldnt be fun at all :)
even deionised is 5.5x10^-6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conductivity
course so is air , if we get all technical
It doesnt qualify as an insulator :)

they use Mineral oil for compuquariums, then they have to either seal up the hard drive, or leave it out of the mix .
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...group&ct=title&resnum=6&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQsAQwBQ

the first one i saw didnt even have a heat sync or spreader or anything on the cpu

Last edited:
Back