• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 7 4 me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roachgod

I'm about to jump to 7 finally to use the ssd i bought for my netbook properly. The netbook is still starting up fast but now it takes forever to do anything even after the registry tweeks so i'm going to say f it and put the ssd in my game rig with hopefully the right OS. I am not sure between getting 7 home 64 or 7 pro 64. I have a few old games i would like to play like Diablo 2 and up. Do I need the XP mode of 7 pro to be able to play them?And are there any other reasons to shell MS the extra $ for pro over home premium for a reg gamer?

I best option is to go with win 7 pro to be sure of compatibility with older games. You lose nothing by going with pro versus home. You can get win 7 pro for $65 through Microsoft student discount if you have access to a e-mail address ending in .edu (I.E. [email protected]) check with your kids or your neighbor's kids to see if anyone has a .edu address. If so then go to the MS web site and search for student discount.

When you do go with win 7 64 bit you will find that you will get laggy performance out of 1 gigabyte or less, with decent performance out if 2 gigs and best performance out of 4 gigs.

your netbook problems are most likely from being low on memory. Check out the manufacturer's web site to see what the maximum memory is that you can put in to it. Though with an atom processor you will never get great performance.

I best option is to go with win 7 pro to be sure of compatibility with older games. You lose nothing by going with pro versus home. You can get win 7 pro for $65 through Microsoft student discount if you have access to a e-mail address ending in .edu (I.E. [email protected]) check with your kids or your neighbor's kids to see if anyone has a .edu address. If so then go to the MS web site and search for student discount.

When you do go with win 7 64 bit you will find that you will get laggy performance out of 1 gigabyte or less, with decent performance out if 2 gigs and best performance out of 4 gigs.

your netbook problems are most likely from being low on memory. Check out the manufacturer's web site to see what the maximum memory is that you can put in to it. Though with an atom processor you will never get great performance.

I maxed out the memory when i bought it with 2 gb or ddr2 800. It's just a weak graphic chip i believe on that model so i'm gonna cut my losses and put the ssd in my pride and joy (the game rig). I totally forgot about the student deal ms offers, i'll keep it legit by letting them do homework over here if they need ;) .

I got scared of kids when I heard they pay you back triple what you did to your parents. And my hands are tied for at least 8 years with these 2 crazy loveable but tough when nessesary American Pitbulls. They do really define the expression Man's best friend

Back