• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windoze 7 core #1 vs NIC performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chawks2

K, this one was fun.

I was seeing very strange behavior over the network when backing up files, bandwidth was very low on a 1Gbps connection. Copying files on a G setup should be in the 70-80% bandwidth range, however, I was getting between 1-5% :shock:

Looking at my machine the only thing I had running was my MMPORG Knights Online (kick *** turkish WOW type game), the process would take 100%. I just happened to move the window and noticed something bizarre, my bandwidth jumped when I select the active window. I went from 1-5% to 60-70% in a second. Obviously there was a connection.

Just for poops and giggles, I decided to change the process affinity for KOL from all processors to just use core 7. After doing so, now my network bandwidth is back to normal. :clap:

I found this one really bizarre and am looking for other ppl to try maxing out core 1 and check your network bandwidth. I know it's a funny request, but I am certainly curious about this one!

Last edited:
Hey there :)

I'm regularly moving large files from one of my folding rigs to another, which are always at 100% across all cores (FAH, link in sig). Never seen an issue like that before. My folding rigs are running W2k8 R2, though, but it's in the same "generation" as W7 so I'd guess that it would be the same.

That's very interesting though. I wonder if it has anything to do with that game, specifically?

I found that if I am playing any media files in Vista and W7, my gigabit network would drop to around 25% or less throughput. If I stop the media, it would jump to 85-95%. There is a process in Vista and W7 that optimizes for the media to have priority on the CPU/Network. It is a windows service called Multimedia Class Scheduler. If you disable it, it might work for gaming applications also.

Back