• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ganged vs unganged

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

OK I am very confused here so I hope some one can help me out.
I have been digging around the web trying to find some solid answers but only getting more confused....

→ Ganged vs unganged what is the difference?

→ Does this have something to do with 2 memory controllers on the CPU?

→ Does my Athlon II 640 have 2 controllers or is this a Phenom only thing?

→→:confused:So my ultimate question in all of this is:

In my Bios (MB in sig) do I set the memory for Ganged mode or (apparently default) unganged mode?

→ Ganged vs unganged what is the difference?

ganged mode is 1x128bit dual channel

unganged is 2x64 bit dual channel

→ Does this have something to do with 2 memory controllers on the CPU?

Yes they can work together or independently. Together gives them the ability to potentially have more bandwidth, however, as cool as that sounds having them operate independently allows faster access to the Ram bank.

→ Does my Athlon II 640 have 2 controllers or is this a Phenom only thing?

I have no clue, lol, I would assume so since you have the option in BIOS.

→→:confused:So my ultimate question in all of this is:

In my Bios (MB in sig) do I set the memory for Ganged mode or (apparently default) unganged mode?

Every single test I have ever done has shown unganged to be as fast or faster than ganged. Leave it alone and sleep well.
:thup:

Thanks Xokeman...:salute:

sounds like I just need to figure out if my CPU has one or two memory controllers.:confused::shrug::confused:

I'm thinking all modern AMD AM3 CPUs do...the only difference between yours and a Phenom from what I understand is yours is lacking some cache. If the option is there in the BIOS I'm almost positive you have the feature.

Honestly, all that is neither here nor there...run a test in unganged, reboot, run same test in ganged. See whats faster. :thup:

$10 on unganged. :sn:

Back