• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MJMMCOLE

Registered
I have gotten my sig rig stable at 3.6ghz now but the problem I am running into now and need help with is that my rig is stable with the memory divider at 333 wich gives me 860mhz but it becomes unstable when I set it to the 400 divider wich gives me 516mhz. I can not figure this out. the ram is rated for 1066 and will run 1066 with no CPU OC but when I OC the CPU then it will not run that fast anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Give both the ram voltage and the CPUNB (not NB chipset) one bump over stock voltage and try again.

Pics of CPU-z tabs "CPU", "Memory", and "SPD" would be helpful. I would like to see what your HT Link speed and your CPUNB speed is. Those two items get faster as you increase the fsb and if they exceed certain levels you will get instability.

Here are the screens that you asked for. My vddnb is at 1.275v and my ram is at 2.1v right now. I can run the ram at 1066mhz @ 2.1v with no cpu oc though do you think I still need to bump the ram voltage.

Those pics are awfully small and hard to see. It looks like your CPUNB at 2580 mhz is too high. Most folks don't recommend going over 2400 with that CPU. I would lower it and try again.

ok i dropped the nb to 2320mhz and upped the vddnb from 1.275v to 1.3v with a vcore of 1.5 and got a BSOD during IBT.

Are you clear about the difference between NB chipset and CPUNB? It can be very confusing as bios writers and programmers tend to use "NB" to refer to either.

yes i am aware of the difference but i am not aware of what voltage in my bios goes to the nb chipset. I know that the vddnb in my bios is my cpu/nb but i can not find any help with what the nb chipset voltage is called in my bios

no not really. i was trying to up the voltage to get some stability but it is not working. I just put everything back to stock and started over. I have my cpu at [email protected] cpu/nb at x9(210mhz)@1.2v, ram at 400(860mhz)[email protected], ht speed at x7(1680 mhz) but not stable. I had my cpu/nb at 1.175v but it wasnt stable there either. i bumped it up to 1.2 to try and get stability but did not work.

Here are some screenies from my last round of tests. Any suggestions?:confused:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

my load core temps are 47c and i turned the nb down to x8 now which gives me [email protected] have tried to turn up the cpu/nb voltage the vcore and the nb chipset and no luck but if i drop my ram to the next divider it is stable. it does not make sense.

The combination of the overclock and the 1066 speed must be overtaxing your CPUNB.

so i should run my ram at a slower frequency to get a greater cpu oc? Is that what you are saying? sorry if I am misinterpreting.

but what i dont understand is when i put the cpu back to stock then it can run the ram at 1066 but when i oc the cpu it wont go near that freq.

The CPUNB is the memory controller component of the CPU. I'm not sure about this but if the CPUNB also modulates the CPU cache memory as well as the ram then the combination of overcocking (more strain from the cache) and the high 1066 speed (more strain from the ram) might be too much.

ok i think i may have made a little headway in my endevors. I thought I would be brave and try to up the chipset voltage a little and see if that helps and i now have been running prime with no errors for 20 minutes with max temps of 44c with cpu at 3.3ghz cpu/nb at 1980, ht at 1630 and ram at 480 i think that i will try to go further on the oc now. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it was the chipset voltage that was holding me back.

Okay, well thanks for the info. I ddin't think that would make a difference but you learn something every day. Was that a v increase in both SB and NB chipset or the combination of both?

i believe that it was just the nb chipset. from what i can gather by looking online is that the chipset overvoltage in my bios is the nb chipset and the ht overvoltage is the sb/ht voltage. I just bumped the chipset voltage ftom 1.1 to 1.3 and it got me stable at a 240 clock but i can now not get 250 stable any suggestions. it seems to me this board is not very oc friendly it is giving me lots of problems which i have never ran into before with other boards. any more help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what the stock voltage is for the 760G chipset but the 790GX and 890GX are 1.3v so that may be what the voltage should have been in the first place. Sadly BIOS default is not always "stock", though it should be ... :(

Last edited:
Back