• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watts Amps Question Video Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scott12345

Registered
Hi i own a 9600GT 512Meg KFA Galaxy Video card
supposably i need 95 Watts with 26A?
but 26 times 12 = 312Watts???

i was reading this on tomshardwareguide is it true?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-6.html
so would i be safe by saying the 9600GT that i own uses
95/12=7.91 AMPS?

i am asking this question because i bought a computer ripped out the GTS450 106Watt 22amps

and i want to add the 9600GT 95Watt 26amps and sell it for what i bought it for and its still a good deal at least i hope the power supply will work

see why im confused the 450 uses more watts and less amps than the 9600GT??

im new to this amps thing

Case with 2 120mm fans that light up one on motherboard
500gig barracuda hard drive
E8400 3.0Ghz
Asus P5Q Pro
dvdrw
2 usb devices
TR 430 Watt Power supply/29Amps (was reading about this thing yucky)

the power supply is brand new it came with a receipt from last month

will my power supply be ok? it is all i have to work with or a crappy 500watt/20amp ugly powerlink psu that i dont trust.

Since they both have the same voltage, it is impossible for the 9600 to use more amperage if the wattage is lower.

Watts / Voltage = Amperage
95 watts @ 12v = 7.9 amps
106 watts @ 12v = 8.8 amps

ok thanks i wanted to confirm that, because on multiple websites people keeps saying you need a lot AMPS.

which power supply should i go with the crap 500watt powerlink, or the Thermaltake TR-430w which i've read is also crappy?

how long do you figure the 430watt will last its rated at 65% not one of the 80+
powerlink dont seem to have a rating website or anything so ill say its 0% lol

corsair isnt an option
its either 500watt powerlink 20a
or 430watt tr thermaltake 29a
i own both
i dont own the corsair one

which would you choose if you owned both, i just wanna get this computer together and out of the door.

I haven't heard of Powerlink, so I wouldn't pick that. Speaking on the TT, I'm not sure of the build quality of the unit, but it should be fine. I'm hoping someone else speaks up that knows more about it.

how long do you figure the tr430 will last, if it only gets like 6 months thats fine

as for 1000watt ones, which is the best right now? not getting one now but near christmas or whenever lga2011 comes out i will be upgrading this petty little e8400
(so far parts are antec 902/2 Enermax appolish fans/d: 1 500gig Re3 western digital(my solid state transfers large files to the re3 at 200megs a second)/c: 1 ssd ocz solid2series/dvdrw)

came here to learn to overclock once and you guys were really helpful, i refer this site to many people.(small overclock e8400 to 3.2ghz but know what to do to get it to 4ghz now although never had the need)
thank you guys a lot, fast responses and know what your doing.

I would suggest knowing exactly what you want to order before you order a power supply. If you don't need more than 500-600 watts, there is no reason to go for a 1kw power supply. It costs (usually substantially) more and will be less efficient since you are running it lower than it was intended to run (70-80% load).

Last edited:
Im sure that TR2 will last until you upgrade.

+1 to Thiddy's advice. Unless you are rocking Crossfire/SLI GTX 480's you dont need anywhere close to 1KW worth of power.

it will be lga2011
and hopefully cpu will be 6 or 8 core if they come out early enough
i a debating on 2 69xx amd video cards but thats also IF diablo 3 ever comes out, and IF 2 high end video cards will help in the game. and when they come out.
also case with 7 fans
have asus dx sound card
have dlink 552 extreme wireless card
have 5000 gigs of external hard drives 3x1tb and 1 2tb
i know its a little crazy but always wanted a crazy computer.
computers always on as well if its ever off its cause something blew or power outage.

thanks for the help i was worried about that small power supply, have a good day fellas

Well there is crazy and there is stupid. Crazy is two 69xx cards with a proper (likely 850W or so) PSU running a game that can easily get by on one lesser card. Stupid is the same setup with a 1KW PSU. :p

On or off doesnt matter on having way too much overhead. 7 case fans are nothing as far as power consumption unless they are all highspeed power suckers (like 10-15W each). Normal case fans barely break 4-6W. Same goes to your sound and wireless cards. Your external drives, if on USB, use the 3.3 and 5v rails I believe anyway. I think 2A on the 5vSB can hold 6 devices already sooooo.

I hear ya, your concerns, and your wants. You can build that crazy rig without being stupid to your wallet. :)

i found stupid and took the crazy

he gave me this 3000$ computer for 800$ canadian...
so i kept the 1000Watt Thermaltake Toughpower power supply
along with a lot of other things

Back