• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on iGPU and vRAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seebs

Fronting as a Mod Member
Hey guys...
I just got my new Baby Rig assembled this past weekend (see my sig). And have a question regarding integrated video and RAM.

The MoBo I got comes with integrated HD 4250 and I can allocate RAM to it from system RAM from 64MB up to 512MB; this will of course take away from the 4GB of system RAM I have on it at the moment. I currently have it at 256MB.
Oh and I'm running this system on an old monitor @ 1280x1024 until I get my U2311H.

I will be installing a discrete GPU and a Dell U2311H in two weeks, so this issue will be a non-issue then, but I still want to play a little bit between now and then...

Here's my question...
Would I get better performance (DIRT-2) if I allocated the full 512MB to it? Or is system RAM more important than vRAM for gameplay? I don't do anything else on the PC that requires loads of system memory (at least not for now)

I haven't really done much testing or tried to see what FPS I would get with the 256MB of allocated vRAM. I also understand that with integrated video I can't expect to see good FPS at high settings, but I'm willing to sacrifice eye candy for FPS for now.

EDIT
I have a GeForce GE6800 @ 256MB that I could install for now. Would this one give me better performance than the on board video?

thanks
Sebastian

Last edited:
I would assign the full 512MB. It's not like you're gonna use 3.5GB for anything else while gaming. Just don't leave a bunch of programs running that like lots of RAM while you game.

Not sure if the 6800 is better. Try and see?

well... trying the 6800 was an exercise in futility... the damn thing was dead, so I'm back to the on-board video with 512 allocated vRAM until I get my 6870.

Back