• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing the Phenom ii 940 stock heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

Has anyone had experience removing this thing? I've been trying for the last hour and its an absolute nightmare. I pull the latch but it never seems to be enough to detach the clips. Any help would be much appreciated

If you open the clamp, you should be able to just pull the latch off the lugs. You may have to press down a bit to get the bracket to free from the lugs and separate. Then twist the hs a bit to loosen the TIM bond so you don't pull the CPU out of the socket along with the HSF.

Push, shift away from heatsink, and it should pop off. After that, twist the heatsink till the tim loosens up and pops the heatsink off the CPU.

How hard should I be pulling on the clamp? After about 90 degrees pulled, it feels like it's gonna snap

Putting a little more force in pulling the clamp did the trick, thanks guys

Be carefull with removing heatsinks on AMD's i pulled one off and it tore the procesor of the socket without releasing the CPU from it. The thermal paste created such a vacum!

Well it was an old athlon so, didnt damage the motherboard, but it did twist all of the pins, after much work realigning them it still worked :p

Back