• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused - please tell me which RAM I can buy!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

naq

I used this tool {Link removed. -hokie} to help me.

It says i have 3 x Corsair DDR3 2048 MB

Memory Type "DDR3 (PC3-10700H)"
Speed "667 Mhz (DDR3 1333)"

Unfortunately I can't see any DDR3 1333 / 10700H / 667 options on the overclockers shop.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, this was fun to type because a while ago I would have thought it made no sense either: 667MHz = DDR3-1333 = PC3-10700.

DDR = Double Data Rate, so the memory running at 667MHz in your system is considered DDR3-1333 (667 x 2), because it completes two instructions per cycle.

For the rest, I'll quote Tom's Hardware:

What's In A Name?

The "official" name for DDR memory is based on its bandwidth rather than clock speed. The easy method to convert data rate to bandwidth is to multiply by eight. Thus, DDR-400 is called PC-3200; DDR2-800 is called PC2-6400 and DDR3-1600 is called PC2-12800.

The math behind this conversion factor is simple: PC memory modules based on SDRAM technology use a 64-bit connection; there are eight bits in a byte and 64 bits equal eight bytes. For example, DDR2-800 transfers 800 megabits per pathway per second; its 64 pathways provide one eight-byte transfer per cycle and 800 times eight is 6400.

The problem comes with "rounding" and was first noticed with DDR-266 (PC-2100). The data rate of 266 MHz is actually 266.6 (continuously repeating decimal) megahertz, so the true transfer rate was 2133 MHz.

Today's DDR3-1333 has a peak bandwidth of 10666 MHz, which can be improperly rounded down and called PC3-10600, rounded up to be called PC3-10700 or stated without rounding as PC3-10666 depending on the manufacturer's desires.

Buyers will find that searching some venders for multiple DDR3-1333 brands will require them to check all three "ratings" to view modules of the same actual speed, but most brands label their DDR3-1333 products as either PC3-10600 or PC3-10666.

Lastly, welcome to OCF! :welcome:

EDIT - To what shop would you be referring? I've also removed that link from your post as it appears my scanner doesn't like it - possible malware.

Last edited:
Ok cool, just making sure there was no shop claiming affiliation with overclockers.com. :)

What motherboard and CPU are you planning on getting? Perhaps we could help steer you in the right direction?

Ok cool, just making sure there was no shop claiming affiliation with overclockers.com. :)

What motherboard and CPU are you planning on getting? Perhaps we could help steer you in the right direction?

Well I have a pretty decent machine already (i'll provide exact specs later - in work right now!) - just wanted to upgrade memory as it chugs a bit on games now. It has 6gb.

Also have geforce gtx280 which I intend to upgrade. Not sure whether to get another and run dual cards - is that easy? Or would I be better off going for a newer, single card.

Cheers

Probably a better single card, but let's get the specifics down prior to diving any deeper. Please supply detailed specs, including Motherboard, CPU, current RAM, power supply and anything else in the system. The more info we have, the better we can help.

Motherboard - Asus P6T
Core i7 2.93
Nvidia GTX280
6GB of RAM - just today upgraded to 12gb :) (pulled out the ram and doubled up - Corsair (TR3X6G1333C9)6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory CL9(9-9-9-24)

Probably the wrong forum to ask the next question (feel free to move the thread!)

Would I be silly buying a GTX580 to replace my 280, or shall I save a few pennies and go for the 480 !

Or feel free to suggest something totally different!!

Cheers

the better video card the better for gaming...
but you might consider getting a (ssd) hdd instead of a video card as you will immediately feel the improvement...
theese are only my opinions...

Back