• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The 2684 from hell.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

augie1111

Geez man, even at 3.8GHz I can't complete it on time. At %7 it was @ 1:02 hrs. and it hasn't gotten too much better since. Nothing extra running in processes either. What can I do to save this?

Attachments

• 2684 from hell.PNG
    2684 from hell.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 193
Ram Timing can make a difference. It just maybe one of those WU that you just have to chew through and hopefully get a better WU. Is this a dedicated machine?

Ram Timing can make a difference. It just maybe one of those WU that you just have to chew through and hopefully get a better WU. Is this a dedicated machine?

Nope, it's my only machine ATM as my Q6600 got sick after a transplant(PSU, HS/F) though I don't do anything much more intensive than watch YouTube videos.

I'm thinking of feathering it in meaning that I'll kill my GTX260 until the numbers get better and then restart the GPU and repeat as necessary until it's finished. At least this way I won't lose all the 21K from the GPU over the 3 days and I don't want to force to get a new WU thereby handing it over to someone else to cause them to rip their hair out too!:bang head Let's deal with this sucker now!:mad:

I don't know about RAM timings as I haven't changed a thing in a couple of months. I was just hoping there was a better solution than what I have stated.:shrug: Thanks sfu.

EDIT: LOL, now the TPF is 1:03:06!:shock::rofl::clap: Someone give me a rubber room to lie in.:D

Last edited:
Assuming that your GPUs are on the i7, you should try removing the affinity lock from both in the advanced options of -config and set the environment variable NV_FAH_CPU_AFFINITY to 255. This will spread the gpu load across all cores and avoid imbalancing the SMP threads. You might pick up a little speed.

Assuming that your GPUs are on the i7, you should try removing the affinity lock from both in the advanced options of -config and set the environment variable NV_FAH_CPU_AFFINITY to 255. This will spread the gpu load across all cores and avoid imbalancing the SMP threads. You might pick up a little speed.

Thanks ChasR, I will try this now and I will also bookmark this thread as this isn't the first time that you've mentioned the core affinity of GPU's to me, I forget too easily.:eek: Thanks.:)

Thanks ChasR, I will try this now and I will also bookmark this thread as this isn't the first time that you've mentioned the core affinity of GPU's to me, I forget too easily.:eek: Thanks.:)

Tried adding 'NV_FAH_CPU_AFFINITY' with both an = and a space before the 255 and gives me an invalid parameter both times.

I've never tested the effect on an i7 so I'm quite interested to know if it helps. Logic tells me 6 threads waiting on 2 is somewhat costly performance wise, but the new cores with dynamic load balancing may have negated any advantage of user induced balancing.

THe i7s I've built for customers have either had high end ati cards in them or low end nVidia cards. No folding going on in any case.

You're not adding it in the right place. In XP x64 it is added in Control Panel/System/Advanced/Environment Variables/System Variables New. In Later versions it's similar, but I don't have a Win 7 rig with me to point to the right place.

You're not adding it in the right place. In XP x64 it is added in Control Panel/System/Advanced/Environment Variables/System Variables New. In Later versions it's similar, but I don't have a Win 7 rig with me to point to the right place.

OK, so far I've just adjusted the affinity in TM where they were both on core 7 only and I gave them free reign of all the cores now. I'll check out your path as I vaguely remember it was a windows thing and not a variable in the client config. I'll be back.:comp:

You'll lose any affinity (or priority) setting in TM when the WU completes. You'll have to set the env variable to make affinity stick.

In W7 it's Control Panel/System and Security/ System/ Advanced System Settings/ Environment variables at the bottom and just add the variable as shown. I assume this needs a reboot so here I go.

Attachments

• sys props.PNG
    sys props.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 174
No reboot needed, just stop and restart the gpu client. Check TM and see if it worked.

You'll lose any affinity (or priority) setting in TM when the WU completes. You'll have to set the env variable to make affinity stick.

Ya, just trying things out. The affinity variable worked wonders! Both GPU's are now spread out amongst the cores ATM according to TM. Main thing is that the SMP is back on track albeit only an 1/2 hr. in after the reboot. I still have a 5 hr. window left to get the bonus!:clap::comp:

Attachments

• 2684 deadline.PNG
    2684 deadline.PNG
    14 KB · Views: 170
augie- glad you got 'er goin' good ! :clap:

Charlie-

:salute:

guinnessminigridge.jpg

This non-verbal/pictorial message brought to you by ihrsetrdr@ocforumsTeam32

Guinness is good and good for you too! It tastes especially good tonight. I stopped by HayesK's place when I was in Houston. I thought about sabotaging his farm, but he let me drink all his Guinness and I just couldn't make myself do it. :D

I had to stop the 260 anyways as the core balancing didn't help enough, now I'm at 53min. TPF and will beat the deadline by only 4 hrs. I will really like it when this one's done.

Back