• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IPS monitors that work well w/ gaming&film

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenohitsu

I read most IPS monitors on the faster response rates have 6-8ms, whereas the slower ones are 14-16ms. Is 6ms fine for gaming, or are there noticeable differences in speed between one with 2ms (on a TN)? I really like the color contrasts so I won't get a TN. I don't plan on 3D gaming, but I'm also confused how ms and Hz are used. I can tell the difference between 60Hz and 70hz on a 15" Dell LCD, so I prefer 70Hz/+. Am I being unrealistic asking all these from IPS monitor?

Less importantly, I do prefer 1980x1200 over 1080, simply because I like having the 16:10 option. Size is the least issue, as I would be fine with anything from 19-24" widescreen with at least 1080p.
This LED one, though 1080, seems interesting: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/09/lg-does-the-ips-dance-with-ips2062t-ips226v-ips236v-and-ips231/

i game on my dell u2410 all the time. i use it for twitch fps gaming and it doesn't feel like there's a disadvantage coming from my old sony crt. if i'm getting good frames per second from my gpu it feels plenty fast at 60hz. the only thing the crt had on this lcd is there was no motion blur on the crt. on the u2410 there's a little at certain speeds. it's not a big deal though and i wouldn't go back. it looks fantastic and i stopped noticing after a couple days. if you're playing first person and you do a quick snap to a target the graphics are flying by way too fast to see blur. if you move your view slowly you don't see blur either since it's gone too fast. only at medium speed do i notice it and it's not terrible. colors are awesome. love this monitor.

the only thing the crt had on this lcd is there was no motion blur on the crt.

And i thought motion blur was a feature! :) I remember seeing it in the advanced options on some game- I wasn't sure if it helped get rid of it or made it look like a cinematic effect. Metro 2033 had it, but couldn't tell what a faster video card would have made it look like.

The new AvP had it too... was quite cool actually... quite a resource hog tho...

i think the lcd screen causes it through a different mechanism though. I haven't compared the two as I've only seen it in software rather than hardware. but it would be interesting to find out.

there are 1000 milisecond in a second
take 60 Frames per second example
divide it out and you get 17ms of time occur for each frame
1000ms/60f
that is how you get to the speed numbers you were attempting to figure out.
take like 100 FPS , the frame would need to change in 10ms

but here is the kicker, the refresh rate in ms , is G-G or grey to grey specs now.
so it is most useless bunch of numbers that they fudge around any way they want now.
when they were 25ms , that was the actual full on full off rates.

when professionally tested, many of the very fast changing light valves listing thing like 8ms are actually 15-20ms 20max ever . so to get any facts about the actual refresh rate, you would have to check out the web site of the Very FEW people who even test for that, or find out more about how that manufacture uses the numbers. mabey they are from 20% grey to 80% grey.

on the other hand, i got used to the LCD a lot faster than i though i would from CRT and most falsely advertised 15ms G-G are ok.

Going further.
for 120Htz 3D which is "Hertz" or Things per second , you would need the frame to change in 8ms and for 240htz to change in 4ms. and that is Part of the blurring you see when playing with 3D stuff, some day they will get there for real.

Last edited:
I bought an Asus ML239H

It's a new, 6-bit e-IPS, which makes it the "budget" series of IPS, and I think it will be much better than the TNs I've been using for the past 5 years. I will post on how the quality is soon after it arrives. Even if it doesn't have as many colors as 8-bit, the price is less than some higher end TN panels, which seems like a good deal.

The new monitor is awesome. Some fixes here and there need to be done though. Seems like the contrast and brightness has some default settings that are hard to custom change. Single link DVI can handle 1920x1080 but I'm not sure if I need dual link (>10Gbps; the screen in native shrinks). VGA native 1080 works. The LED makes it a cool to the touch monitor, save for a small spot at the bottom jaw, center. How much of an improvement will I get with DVI/HDMI from VGA native? What kind of bandwidth might HDMI 1.3 need for this one? Is there interference in terms of shielding that I should look for in a more expensive DVI or HDMI cable, as some have mentioned?

Last edited:
60Hz 1080p is single link DVI. But it's the absolute throughput limit. You'll be fine @ single link, if thats what you wanna use.

DVI always looks better than VGA IMO.

I'm not sure I've experienced any particular interference on cheap HDMI cables.. I've noticed slightly better image quality out of better cables but that might be the placebo factor..

Last edited:
60Hz 1080p is single link DVI. But it's the absolute throughput limit. You'll be fine @ single link, if thats what you wanna use.

DVI always looks better than VGA IMO.

I'm not sure I've experienced any particular interference on cheap HDMI cables.. I've noticed slightly better image quality out of better cables but that might be the placebo factor..

just get the cheap cables from ebay. hdmi

thanks, i will check them out.

Asus ProArt P-IPS 24"

I personally would love to know how this monitor would go gaming.. I'm very intrigued by it! It's expensive but I do graphics work too so being an IPS would be awesome.

I'm tossing up between this or a Dell U2711.. The price is about the same.. Only question is whether I'd find the Dell's resolution too much for my card, or if I'd find the Asus's screen too small.. (I've been looking to make a major screen upgrade...). Hmmm!

Asus ProArt P-IPS 24"

I personally would love to know how this monitor would go gaming.. I'm very intrigued by it! It's expensive but I do graphics work too so being an IPS would be awesome.

I'm tossing up between this or a Dell U2711.. The price is about the same.. Only question is whether I'd find the Dell's resolution too much for my card, or if I'd find the Asus's screen too small.. (I've been looking to make a major screen upgrade...). Hmmm!

1920*1200 is no good resolution for gaming. With a 16:9 monitor you will get bigger Field Of View so I would go with the U2711 if I were you.

A friend of mine has U2711 and it is an excellent choice btw. and you can always run games in 1920*1080 with the Dell. Looks great anyway. I know because I have seen it.

Last edited:
i have been looking for a 32 inch monitor with IPS.
what i found is the Panasonic 32u22 or the 37u22 (37")
Toshiba 32e200u
Sharp ??
and others ?

what i did find out is
ips - In Plane Switching ,,, Alpha-IPS is superior to S-IPS in terms of picture quality
60hz seems to be best for PC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is dated material from 2008 , it does explaine IPS better ( at least for now)

from: AV Science Forum ,,http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=999087

Okay, so far I know that:
1) LG.Philips makes some IPS panels (not sure what sizes);
2) All of the large panels from S-LCD (the Samsung/Sony joint factory in S. Korea) are S-PVA types;
3) IPS-Alpha (the Hitachi, Matsu****a, Toshiba panel factory in Japan -www.ips-alpha.co.jp/en/index.html) makes IPS panels only up to 32"
4) AU Optronics OEMs both P-MVA panels (similar but not quite as good as S-PVA) and a lot of TN (plain twisted-nematic), but I'm not sure to which if any big TV makers.

IPS- In-plane switching and MVA (and other names) are two approaches to achieve a symmetrical viewing cone by preventing birefringence. As standard TN (twisted nematic) LCD uses the 90 degree front-to-back twist of the LCD to open and close the LCD "light valve". The problem is that there is a color shift, primarily up and down. This is caused by certain light frequencies (colors) falling out of phase from the others. Usually, from the top, the display fades to light water-colory looking images and from the bottom, the display will go into a strange inverse video mode. Look at one of those $79 portable DVD players (with display) to see what I am talking about.

Anyway, IPS switches the LC molecules in a lateral direction (using two transistors) and any of the MVA-types use a multi-domain or different tilt angles within the LCD, and this eliminates the lose of these color frequencies. In most cases, modern, hip symmetrical LCD use both methods. What out for a trap. Most of the manufacturers do not open advertise the exact method for symmetrical viewing. They make up silly acronyms and of course, ONLY they have the unique and proprietary "XYZ-MVA" technology (I made this one up).

If the set is listed as having a symmetrical viewing cone of any better than 80-80-80-80degrees, they have some or all of the above. And in the end, if it is symmetrical with better than 80 degrees, you are buying a set that is as good as it gets (or needs to be).

Panasonic is taking over the IPS Alpha operation from Hitachi. I got a LG 42LBX Opus a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. I believe that JVC is using LG's S-IPS panels in some of their models.

LG.Philips manufactures standard S-IPS for TV/monitors, TN and advanced IPS for monitors.
SLCD manufactures PVA, S-PVA and TN (all designed by Samsung SDI)
IPS-Alpha is manufactured by Matsu****a and Hitachi. Toshiba left and partnered with Sharp. And there are larger screen IPS-Alpha panels currently available.
AUO manufactures very high quality MVA panel and TN panel.

And Sharp uses its own technology called ASV (Advanced Super View).

PS: S-IPS used in TVs are quite cheap and poorer than the ones used in monitors.
The original creater of IPS design was Hitachi btw
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm still working on reading the many sites about ISP.
Does any body know of any more information ?
we are settling on the 37u22 for now

Last edited:
my continued search for ISP answers , finally got me to ask Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

sure hope this can help some else down the road
my next TV-MONITOR is better defined .
our purpose is having both our Sam. 24 , and a 37" playing on our HD5770
the old 36" Trinitron is too big using to much power. time to move on.

cool information you found, mikealaska. Thanks a lot. If you can find some detailed comparisons on e-IPS, that would also be very helpful. Cheers.

i have been looking for a 32 inch monitor with IPS.
what i found is the Panasonic 32u22 or the 37u22 (37")
Toshiba 32e200u
Sharp ??
and others ?

what i did find out is
ips - In Plane Switching ,,, Alpha-IPS is superior to S-IPS in terms of picture quality
60hz seems to be best for PC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is dated material from 2008 , it does explaine IPS better ( at least for now)

from: AV Science Forum ,,http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=999087

Okay, so far I know that:
1) LG.Philips makes some IPS panels (not sure what sizes);
2) All of the large panels from S-LCD (the Samsung/Sony joint factory in S. Korea) are S-PVA types;
3) IPS-Alpha (the Hitachi, Matsu****a, Toshiba panel factory in Japan -www.ips-alpha.co.jp/en/index.html) makes IPS panels only up to 32"
4) AU Optronics OEMs both P-MVA panels (similar but not quite as good as S-PVA) and a lot of TN (plain twisted-nematic), but I'm not sure to which if any big TV makers.

IPS- In-plane switching and MVA (and other names) are two approaches to achieve a symmetrical viewing cone by preventing birefringence. As standard TN (twisted nematic) LCD uses the 90 degree front-to-back twist of the LCD to open and close the LCD "light valve". The problem is that there is a color shift, primarily up and down. This is caused by certain light frequencies (colors) falling out of phase from the others. Usually, from the top, the display fades to light water-colory looking images and from the bottom, the display will go into a strange inverse video mode. Look at one of those $79 portable DVD players (with display) to see what I am talking about.

Anyway, IPS switches the LC molecules in a lateral direction (using two transistors) and any of the MVA-types use a multi-domain or different tilt angles within the LCD, and this eliminates the lose of these color frequencies. In most cases, modern, hip symmetrical LCD use both methods. What out for a trap. Most of the manufacturers do not open advertise the exact method for symmetrical viewing. They make up silly acronyms and of course, ONLY they have the unique and proprietary "XYZ-MVA" technology (I made this one up).

If the set is listed as having a symmetrical viewing cone of any better than 80-80-80-80degrees, they have some or all of the above. And in the end, if it is symmetrical with better than 80 degrees, you are buying a set that is as good as it gets (or needs to be).

Panasonic is taking over the IPS Alpha operation from Hitachi. I got a LG 42LBX Opus a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. I believe that JVC is using LG's S-IPS panels in some of their models.

LG.Philips manufactures standard S-IPS for TV/monitors, TN and advanced IPS for monitors.
SLCD manufactures PVA, S-PVA and TN (all designed by Samsung SDI)
IPS-Alpha is manufactured by Matsu****a and Hitachi. Toshiba left and partnered with Sharp. And there are larger screen IPS-Alpha panels currently available.
AUO manufactures very high quality MVA panel and TN panel.

And Sharp uses its own technology called ASV (Advanced Super View).

PS: S-IPS used in TVs are quite cheap and poorer than the ones used in monitors.
The original creater of IPS design was Hitachi btw
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm still working on reading the many sites about ISP.
Does any body know of any more information ?
we are settling on the 37u22 for now

some more information that i found useful to me at least , from: Overclockersclub,, http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=176839

this really helps break it down , and in simple format i can undrstand
it must be very old news to many here , but very new to me.
i am still looking for up to date news or product technology ,
have now found the reviews yet.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=183759

review;http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_2233rz.htm

Last edited:
Back