• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd athlon II x3 440 800mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clarkjosel

hi guys, just wanted to ask about if its normal that my processor goes only 800mhz and 4.0x multiplier, and also I am using a msi 870a-g54 and whenever i used the control center my computer hangs and when i play 3d games there are times that the monitor just blacks out and i have to push the reset button in order to get to windows again ctrl alt delete won't do anything. im in need of your assistance hopefully you can help me with this problem of mine.

here are my specs by the way

athlon x3 440 3.0
msi 870a-g54
700w hec cougar
9800gt 1gig palit
80hd
2gig ddr3 ocz gold edition

Please post screenshots of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory", and "SPD".

Did you check to see if your motherboard and your bios version support that CPU? What you describe sounds suspiciously like what happens when there is a compatibility problem between CPU and board/bios so that the system is operating in some kind of minimal generic mode.

What is Control Center? Is that MSI's bios tweaker utility?

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

Well, the 800x4 you're seeing is from CoolNQuiet, which slows your processor down and under-volts it to use less power when it's at idle or being used only a little. You can disable CoolNQuiet in the BIOS.

For the other, I'm not exactly sure what you've done to your machine or what order those things happened in. If you're using "control center" (I would guess this is some kind of MSI overclocking program?) then anything could be wrong. Overclocking with a program isn't the best idea as you're finding out. However, just disabling CoolNQuiet may solve the problem. Often, CnQ doesn't mix well with overclocking.

If you're still having problems after you disable CnQ I suggest you uninstall Control Center, reset the BIOS using "Load optimal settings" (or whatever it's called in your BIOS), then use the BIOS for overclocking ...

Okay, I got the impression from the original description of your problem that the the 800 mhz/4x issue was happening when you were running games. If that is what is happening at idle only then like QuietIce said, disable Cool N Quiet and C1E as well in bios. Those technologies throttle down voltage and the CPU multilplier when there is not much load on the CPU. However, they can cause erratic/unstable behavior, especially when overclocking. And I agree with him, don't use those "cheater" overclocking utilities. You never know for sure if they values they report or assign to components is accurate. Take the trouble to learn overclocking from the bios.

Back