• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 4200 Fail/Success

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doctorly

Well hello to this forum, I am brand new on this page.
My problem has to do with overclocking my GPU(a subject I have been studying for some time in hopes it would be similar to pushing a CPU). I started my tweaking today, the tools I chose were MSI Afterburner and FurMark. The process has actually gone quite smoothly all together, but my problem stems from results I find a little overwhelming.

My initial core clock speed (read in FurMark) was 500MHz
My resulted clock.. is 1100MHz. I'm starting to think that its a lie, in my past experience with CPU overclocking, doubling your clock is unheard of.

So what I want to know is.. do I have a problem here?? Haha, thanks for the help and sorry for making such a lengthy post :)

problem? did it get faster :)
with a shared memory system an closed cooling , might need to be carefull, and test with CPU running too.

another user reported that rivatuner showed 200, and when they went to 201 it went instable?
but remembering that epecially in a laptop there is "stepping" going on. saving the power by stepping down the operation frequency.
could be between that, and the software not talking well to that particular computer.

then with a laptop might they also have thermal management , so as you step it up, it just starts balking or going back down anyways.
the software not seeing everything going on behind the scenes because it didnt expect that.

because you already KNOW , that is barely possible.
Think Different.
just adjust and try and increase the SPEED percentages, then pop up a quick CPU test at the same time too and see if it survives.
and if it works and you can still cool it, then roll with it.

Long ago i overclocked the heck ouf of a computer, big big numbers, but didnt notice that it was slowing down, and not from cooling, all the data was still correct, the numbers were up there, but the actual speed was lower for some thing over stock.

so how were your FPSes and stuff like that?

Last edited:
Actually clocking HD4200 to 1Ghz is not unheard of,it's common,and I've done it myself,very capable little guy :) However I did it with a sizable voltage increase and on a desktop motherboard with good cooling,and it did get much hotter then stock.

I would not recommended going that high on a laptop,unless you are keeping the laptop on an active cooling pad at all times.

But I agree you should make sure that it is in fact running that frequency with other software.

Ok well I will try the testing of CPU very soon then, it all sounds like a good way to find whats going on. Hmmmm.. well during the time I was tweaking these settings (and sticking with them for a while) I was in a very cold environment, heating is never an issue during this time.. however.. if you say that your desktop.. with proper cooling was almost over-heating then I have an issue believing that I wasn't at this time.

Haha, I am well aware of the difference in clocks, the program I use is actually exclusively giving 3D readouts as far as I know.

Another thing is that I can't get GPU tool to work properly at all, even under stock settings. The program itself slows down infinitely and windows is constantly trying to respond.. Under the slim chance I can get it to run fine, I can manage to run the stability test, and yes the results are good. The test itself has no issues freezing.

Haha another thing is that I tried to torture it a little bit on gmod, under settings it could handle reasonably(not too good, not too bad). My results were actually the same as stock settings, I tested it about four different times at half hour intervals.

Last edited:
Back