• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Atom systems worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Should be just fine, they aren't exactly computational powerhouses, but the Arguino IDE uses very little in the way of resources, it'll run just fine on an Atom. I'd imagine the avrdude software is the same way. Compiling code for something with the intelligence of a modern toaster doesn't take much in the way of CPU power.

(Note: Modern toasters are plenty smart for robots and such, I have an arduino and love it, it's a funny, not an insult :D)

EDIT:
Compiling a 4100byte sketch takes 1% cpu power, running the software eats 62mb of ram.
Atom'll be fine :D

I'd look into a used netbook or something before building up around that..unless you have to have serial, but the arduino programming I did was through USB.

I'd look into a used netbook or something before building up around that..unless you have to have serial, but the arduino programming I did was through USB.

That's a very good point, a netbook is more then capable of running the Arduino software. It might or might not be able to cough up enough power to run an arduino board+motors/etc, many netbooks can't actually cough up the 500ma of 5v on the USB port the spec calls for.
(Note: Just the board is only 36ma at full burn, it'll run that and sensors and some LEDs just fine)

Last edited:
That should be fine. Nice and cheap. Way more ram then microcontroller programming needs, but you could use it for a HTPC too or somesuch.

Not really, that ought to do it.

I still think buying a used netbook and plugging it into a monitor/mouse/keyboard is the way to go personally. Cheaper.

Back