• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dispute re: application of arctic silver 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenClocker

Registered
According to the arctic silver website, when applying arctic silver 5 on an i7 core, they suggest to apply only a thin line down the centre of the core and let the heatsink do the flattening (ie. do not spread evenly).

Can anyone confirm if this method worked for them or is the spreading with a credit card the best method in ALL circumstances ???

I've used the line method, the big pile in the middle method, the spread it out first method.
They all work.

Now i draw a * with very thin lines, it has the best average contact for me.

As long as you get a thin, even, uncontaminated coating without excessive compound, it doesn't matter how you go about it. There is no magic. I like to spread it very thinly so I know there won't be excess compound that gets on the sides of the CPU or socket as AS 5 and some other heatsink compounds are electrically conductive.

I use side by side lines personally...though I'm thinking about switching to an X...I'm unmounting soon and I'm just gonna see how good of a mount I had. The trick to it is getting your lines to be nice and thin so you don't get too much tim in there, you really only wanna fill the gaps.

Agreed with all. The only reason I think they don't want you spreading it yourself is because you could trap an air bubble in there. :shrug:

As for my method, I put a glob, about pea sized on the middle of the CPU, then I kinda twist/wiggle the heatsink as I strap it in. Then I usually heat it up, wiggle it again, then call it good.

i would use the pea (bb) or line method if i could put the thing on perfectally straight the first time, or if i had the Ratchet down type of heat sync.
instead i am re-mounting or messing with it, turned upside down and backwards, because i dont want to remove the 27 wires that connect up my computer.
I dont need guessing, i Spread.
If the computer is all accessable , and pulled out and on some display table , I Might get away with it.

I have always gone for the bb sized blob in the middle, i have tried the line, and a few others, i just find bb the easiest one to do

Agreed with all. The only reason I think they don't want you spreading it yourself is because you could trap an air bubble in there. :shrug:

As for my method, I put a glob, about pea sized on the middle of the CPU, then I kinda twist/wiggle the heatsink as I strap it in. Then I usually heat it up, wiggle it again, then call it good.

Of course, peas vary in size but what Arctic Silver recommends is a little smaller than a BB, about 3 mm maybe. Too much TIM is as bad as too little as it has an insulating effect.

Back