• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a GTX260 and GTX460 Fold nice together?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuckerants

I have a GTX 460 to add to my spare PCIe slot. Is there anything I should know about adding the new GPU?

I also have not updated my NVidia drivers in a while (196.21 ATM). Is there any particular driver version I should or should not use? What GPU client do I need?

What are the steps I should be taking to add the GPU? Do I install the card first, THEN update the driver, or...

TIA

Just update the drivers first, the usual way, install the newest drivers, install the new card. Setup a 2nd gpu3 client and then all should go well.

I'm running a GTX460 and a GTX260 together with no problems. 6.30 client on the 460 and 6.23 client on the 260. I use to run the 6.30 client on the 260 too, but my PPD is about 1500-2000 PPD better when running the 6.23 client on the 260.

Update drivers first and then install the client.

Be sure to run the console clients rather than the systray clients. It makes things easier to control and debug.

Last edited:
So far, so good.

I got the GTX460 installed and running as the primary GPU and the dummy lugs connected to the GTX260 and Folding apparently. Though after the upgrade to the new HFM, the Status monitor is showing gray and OFFLINE. even though it is counting down the percentages of the Folding clients.

This is great. Tonight, I'll be installing the Folding client on the 460.

*ON an odd note, I can't seem to view the uTorrent or EVGA Precision on screen even though it says the programs are running. Hmm.

Ok, I used Windows, Shift, and then the arrows keys and the programs popped back into view. WTH??? At least it worked.

Last edited:
I need some help here guys.

I downloaded the GPU for W7 (see the attached pic). When I attempted to run it, all I did was screw up the GPU2 I was running on the GTX216. NOw it seems that when I try to set up a 2nd GPU client, all I can get it to do is have 2 instances running on the GTX216.

I have the EVGA Precision running so I can see that the GTX460 is at 0% load and then on HFM, the PPD on the GTX216 drops by 1/2.

What am I doing wrong?

I think I have to start all over again from scratch, at least for the GPU.

HELP!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 124
You need to add some flags :)
The GTX260 need the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 and the GTX460 needs -forcegpu nvidia_fermi

You also need to tell the 460 client not to run on the default gpu, and you do this by adding the -gpu 1 flag.

Then you should be all set :)

Edit: And yes that is the correct client that you have marked there. For the GTX460 that is...

Last edited:
You need to add some flags :)
The GTX260 need the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 and the GTX460 needs -forcegpu nvidia_fermi

You also need to tell the 460 client not to run on the default gpu, and you do this by adding the -gpu 1 flag.
Using the 6.32 client, you should not need to add the -forcegpu flags, as it correctly detects the GPUs. It is probably best, at least at first, to NOT use the flags, just to make sure that the client is running on the GPU that you think it is. When I was running an 8800GT and a GTX260, no matter what slot I put the 8800GT in, it took over as the initial (-gpu 0) card.

Also, you should add the -gpu 0 flag to your GTX260 client, as well as the -gpu 1 flag to the GTX460 client.

So, I'd start by setting the -gpu 0 flag on one client, seeing where it ends up Folding, and work from there with the other (-gpu 1, -forcegpu) flags.

OK, I stayed up late last night and finally got both GPUs to Fold. I am using the GPU3 client for both the GTX260 and the GTX 460 and I did not add the -forcegpu flag on on the GTX260, but it is still using it.

Or, should I be using the GPU2 for the GTX 260?

GPU1=GTX 460 (or GPU 1)
GPU2=GTX 260 (and GPU 0 when I added the -GPU flag.)

How are the PPD numbers for both of the GPUs?

Also, when I went to bed last night, the GTX 460 was at 90C. Isn't that a little too hot?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 118
And, I solved the HFM problem - turned off Auto Start, then restart.

Sorry about that... it's broken in the latest build. Something that should have been caught in testing. I'll be releasing an update in the next few days.

Using the 6.32 client, you should not need to add the -forcegpu flags, as it correctly detects the GPUs. It is probably best, at least at first, to NOT use the flags, just to make sure that the client is running on the GPU that you think it is. When I was running an 8800GT and a GTX260, no matter what slot I put the 8800GT in, it took over as the initial (-gpu 0) card.

Also, you should add the -gpu 0 flag to your GTX260 client, as well as the -gpu 1 flag to the GTX460 client.

So, I'd start by setting the -gpu 0 flag on one client, seeing where it ends up Folding, and work from there with the other (-gpu 1, -forcegpu) flags.

Well I needed to add the forcegpu flags on both my clients to make them run properly. I tried without and either the core would make an error, or the GTC260 client would go crazy sometimes and send my gpu temps through the roof. The installation guide on Stanford's page also states the following:

"Note: The GPU3 beta client does not distinguish between 2xx and 4xx series NV GPUs. Add the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 switch to the 2xx client target field, and add the -forcegpu nvidia_fermi switch to the 4xx client target field."

Anyway, thats what i needed to do, to make it work, and if others dont need to add the flags, then thats just great :) As long as we get it all running and crunching as much as possible, then I dont care how it's done :p

OK, I stayed up late last night and finally got both GPUs to Fold. I am using the GPU3 client for both the GTX260 and the GTX 460 and I did not add the -forcegpu flag on on the GTX260, but it is still using it.

Or, should I be using the GPU2 for the GTX 260?

GPU1=GTX 460 (or GPU 1)
GPU2=GTX 260 (and GPU 0 when I added the -GPU flag.)

How are the PPD numbers for both of the GPUs?

Also, when I went to bed last night, the GTX 460 was at 90C. Isn't that a little too hot?

Thanks guys.

Well after i went over to the 6.23 client on the GTX260, it went from about 6K PPD to 7.5-8.2K PPD. My GTX460 is also at about 10.3K PPD. Both cards are slightly overclocked.
My 460 is also hovering around 85-89c. I've made a custom program for fan speeds in Evga Precision, and that gaves me better results than just running the fan speed on auto.

Wega - It's good to know that my temps are not out of line.

I am running the 2 GPUs in my i7 920 rig and I think after less than 24 hours of Folding, my PPD on the GTX260 is slightly lower as is the i7. However, overall, I am up 10,000 PPD, so I'm happy.

BTW, just how much can I OC the shader on the GTX460?

Well after i went over to the 6.23 client on the GTX260, it went from about 6K PPD to 7.5-8.2K PPD. My GTX460 is also at about 10.3K PPD. Both cards are slightly overclocked.
My 460 is also hovering around 85-89c. I've made a custom program for fan speeds in Evga Precision, and that gaves me better results than just running the fan speed on auto.

Interesting on the 260, I get about 7K usually at 1350 shaders, I'll try 6.23 tomorrow. My GTX 470 runs @ 85C and 1400 shaders and fan at %58 auto. It's loud enough as it is and I'm not worrying about it either.;)

Back