• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I5-650 Help if possible.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilcal20

Registered
Hi i have a I5 -650 which is currently overclcoked at 3.6ghz i would like to aim for 4ghz + if i can. My problem is when i go to the bios to do the overclock i have 3 settings auto,3.4 and crazy which is 3.6, how do i make it so i can go higher than 3.6ghz.

Also i was going to try ai booster as my motherboard is asus p7p5de-lx. is this software any good?

cheers

It would help to know what motherboard you have... In order to get past 3.6Ghz, you need to not use the AI settings.

Check out the guide in my signature. that should be plenty to get you started.

Sounds like an ASUS board and what you are looking at is the automatic overclocking. Below that break out menu you should have something called bclock like this:
BLOGBLOGbios4.PNG

Set the tuner to manual the CPU ratio as high as it will go and adjust the bclock slowly upward. When you reach a point that the computer wont boot voltage may need adjusted and this should be in the guides.

Use amd overdrive simple just raise the core slider until ur computer freezez then note that hz then reaise the voltage until its stable at the previouse instable core bam like 4.2+hz

Or not...

First off,:welcome:

Please do yourself the favor and learn the PROPER way to o/c your machine. You and your parts will be much happier. Please read this GUIDE and come back here with any questions you may have..

Cheers for the help all, im currently at 1.45 volt, at GHz, and stable, my temperatures considering they are stock cooling they are averaging around 45-50c idle and when fully benchmarking tops at 82-85c. Just want to ask these temps are fine yes? from reading other forum posts they have similar temps.

It is erm just stock cooling, i have 1 fan and heatsink on the CPU, 2 fans on the GPU, and 2 Fans in the case. i Have lowerd the voltage a little just under 1.4v and that has lowerd the tempertures by about 5-6c

Temps are still high. I suggest more case cooling and even an inexpensive tower cooler will make things a lot better. If your case is in a cabinet that may also cause heat buildup.

Update

Hi, just wanted to thank everyone for the help and tips been really helpful, i decided to stop being over the top and have now set it to 3.8ghz instead of 4ghz as well as reduced voltage from 1.4 to 1.3. This has reduced my temperatures a great deal and made me feel alot more confident, and heck not as if 3.8 is slow lol.

Back