• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max Wattage on MoBo Headers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

francisamf

Just a quick question:

What's the maximum safe wattage a MoBo can handle? For example, my CrystalOrb has a three-pin fan, but comes with an adapter to go directly to the PSU. I'd rather prefer the RPM monitoring "feature" but am not sure if the orb's fan is safe to connect to the MoBo header.

Cheers,
F

For myself, any fan that spins at 7000rpm and over, should be connected to the power supply. They draw more power than a mobo can handle. A lot of newer motherboards these days seem to handle these high speed fans ok. In the long haul, I might not want to be so optimistic.

Since the crystal orb spins at around 4500rpm, plugging it to the mobo is fine.

It varies form mobo to mobo and would be stated in the technical specs. Most mobo manufacturers don't recommend wattages higher than 3.5W. A 6000RPM delta fan is about 7.5W.

I'm gonna side with Tiger, I wouldn't recommend anything over 3.5 either.

You can use the adapter, just carefully remove the crimp connector with the blue wire from the fan plug, and plug it onto the correct pin on the motherboard. Let the black and red stay connected to the powersupply connector. Your rpm monitor will work, but the fan will take power directly from the psu.

To remove the crimp (metal end on the wire) from the plug, just carefully pry back the tiny locking tab on the side of the plug. It should then be easy to pull it free of the plug.

Enjoy the best of both worlds.

I don't know where you guys got your specs, but Abit rates their fan headers for .5A at 12V, or 6W. I have run that amount on a few of the headers with no degradation of the them or the traces leading to them. A good, tight fitting header plug helps. Loose headers plug tend to warm up and can lead to the header pins de-soldering themselves under extreme conditions.

Hoot

Back