• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9550 vs I7 875K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Weeman

I've got two rigs.

Rig 1: Gaming
Asus P5Q-E (4.0Ghz on Air MAX)
Intel Q9550
8GB of low latency Patriot RAM
ATI HD 5970
Corsair HX 1000W
WD Raptor RAID 0

Rig 2: the wifes PC
zotac H55ITX-C-E
Intel I7 875K (no OCing yet)
4GB OCZ silver
Sugo SG07 stock 600W PSU
Asus EAH6870
Patriot SSD

The problem is I don't know which to keep for myself? My knowledge of the x55 chipset is very, very limited. I'm willing to swap hardware around, but I just can't make a decision. Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
The Core i7 platform is miles better in regards to memory and CPU power. The 2.9ghz Core i7 875k is better than your 4ghz quad. The Mobo you have in Rig 2 isn't really good so if you would get a high end board and overclock the Core i7 to 4ghz then you'll really feel a lot more performance. I would suggest you get a p55 board and not H55.

Its not the chipset, its the board limiting you. There are plenty of P55 boards out there that will overclock that 875k to the moon (cooling limited of course). In fact, being an 875k your current board, so long as it has decent overclocking options will do the same as you have an unlocked multiplier on the 875k so you will not be bclk limited on your ITX H55 board contrary to BT's thoughts..

Id keep the i7 and get a new PSU. Im a bit concerned at that brand personally...I have no idea who makes it or never heard of it. Doesnt mean its bad, but...........

The H55/57 Q55/57 are very CHEAP chipsets and boards. I said get P55 because that is where all of the enthusiasts boards. The board you have from Zotac sucks. Doesn't even have 4 DIMM slots. I suggest you throw that board out and get an enthusiasts p55 board and overclock to a nice 4ghz. If you won't get a new board though, keep the 5970 in the first rig.

Im not sure why the # of ram slots is even used as a barometer for a good board...just means you are limited to 8GB.

Again, he has an unlocked multiplier and so long as he has some of the major voltage settings (ram, vtt, vcore) and memory settings (timings, straps, multi) he would be fine. That board will not likely reach 200x20 but whats wrong with 133x30? or 166x24?

Would I get a P55 if I could afford it? YES. But if he's limited and takes a look in his bios and has those voltage options, that little board will do fine with an unlcoked multi.

This board is not even micro atx and barely fits a PCie slot. If you can afford a $600+ graphics card, I would urge you to spend $150 on a good board. # of DIMM slots doesn't make a board good ofc, but it shows you how cheap and non-enthusiastic this board. It only has a 4 PIN connector for power so good luck getting voltages up at all. You have $800+ worth of graphics cards and a $300+ CPU, spend a little more on a good Mobo with some crossfire and good overclocking abilities and it will really get the most out of your Core i7 build. The H55 board you are currently using is a HTPC board. Built in graphics, wifi, only 2 DIMM slots to conserve space. This isn't a board for heavy gaming and processing power. And also put the SSD in your computer if you can :)

Back