• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which one i7 and mobo ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr@kt@L

hi, can you someone tell me which i 7 is good for overclock and some good mobo for i7?
i am selling my old :) pc , and need some advice about i7 i have not experience with this socket and cpu
775 fan:comp:
thank
mobo Rampage II Extreme + i7 950 or i7 920
need some advice

Last edited:
If you can still find an i7 920, I would personally go with that. For overclocking, you want to make sure it is a D0 stepping, as opposed to a C0 (should say in the product description). The C0 stepping runs a bit hotter, and requires more voltage for overclocking in most situations, and is generally not as friendly to overclock. Given that you are overclocking, the 950 is essentially just a higher clocked version of the 920, which will make very little difference as MOST users (with proper cooling and know-how) are able to easily reach 3.6-3.8 GHz with a 920

All that said, each chip is different, and different users will experience different results

The mobo you picked is not bad, but there is a Rampage III Extreme out...

I believe the price of a i7-920 and a 950 today are pretty much the same, right? So wouldn't it be better to go with the 950?

I believe the price of a i7-920 and a 950 today are pretty much the same, right? So wouldn't it be better to go with the 950?

Higher multi is always preferable, with two processors that are of the same design. Same price 950 better.

I would get whatever one you can get for the most reasonable price. you can get the 950 at microcenter for 229, and if you get a mobo at the same time they will knock of another 40 from that. if you are cost conscious I would recommend the gigabyte x58a-ud3 and the 930 as that should get you to 4.0-4.3 without much issues and be prolly $400 after taxes. know that you will have to have ddr3 mem also.

Back