• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 Base OS Virtual Server 2003 or 2008

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G8ortech14

Registered
Is there any benefit to running win7 as base OS and then running Server 03 or 08 Virtually? I have win764 bit and want to run that as base. Due to gaming addiction. However I also would like to run server 2008 on same machine due to hardware limitations at the moment. Has anyone done this is there any issues that you have run into. What are the benefits? What are the drawbacks?

Thanks,

I suppose it depends on how you're going to purpose your server install. If you just want to play around and learn Win Sever 2k8, then yeah you'll be better off with a VM running on a desktop host. However, for just about every other purpose I could think of, I think it's much better to have it in a separate box.

Servers are generally employed to enable high availability of a certain resource and running one on a desktop OS kind of undermines this purpose. Then again, your requirements are unique and such a configuration may be beneficial to you. Therefore, it's hard to tell you any benefits/drawbacks for your scenario without knowing your requirements.

Back