• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU to start OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluenotebacker

My system build is below, in my signature.

I've OC'd my video card just using the ATI controls, and while the results are dramatically better, I'm really seeing my machine chugging lately. I'd very much like to OC my CPU (on which I'll ask for more advice in another thread) abd I've been told (and I think it's fairly obvious) that I'll first need to upgrade my PSU. I'm looking at this one

I hate waiting for/paying for shipping but this one is $189.99!! @ the local MicroCenter, so I'll probably wait for Newegg to deliver since I've bought most of my components through them anyway and have good results.

That $130 is about where my budget is right now for a PSU. would you consider the above a good choice, or would I be better served waiting and saving for something else? It's frustrating to have what I consider a pretty decent build but to be getting poor performance out of it, so I don't know how long I can realistically wait ;)

Thanks folks!

Well, with what you have in your sig, you dont need more than you have. Im not sure on the quality of your current PSU...this review doesnt paint it to be the best so I would go ahead and grab something else of better qaulity.

If you dont plan on SLI/Crossfire in the future, grab a Corsair 650TX or HX(modular) and save some money over that 850TX.

The poor performance I'm getting is primarily when gaming (World of Warcraft, Dragon Age.) But it extends to startup times and specifically seems to take forever to "draw" the desktop. Even some everyday apps like Google Chrome , Word, and others seem to take forever to open.

Specifically related to gaming, load screens are suddently taking forever the first time, and while I used to be able to <alt-tab> out and open a browser or something, my PC seems to resist that now and it takes a long time for the desktop to come back up.

I guess it seems to be graphics related, generally speaking, but I'm not savvy enough to figure out where I'm losing speed/performance. I don't think I can afford a large enough SSD to accomodate my current capacity, could the HDD be the problem?

(I know this may now be better suited for another thread. You guys have always been so helpful, I figure it can't hurt to ask. I know I'm a novice at this stuff so I'm not worried about "saving face" or anything, lol)

Replace the power supply as suggested 650tx/hx would be plenty. It could certainly be your hard drive causing slowness but it also could be a lot of other things. Have you run the manufacturers diagnostics on it or replaced the sata cable?

Older HDD is one issue. Any malware, viruses, etc? When is the last time you defragmented the HDD? Go grab Auslogics defrag (free) and try that.

What startup programs do you have? Have you eliminated what you dont need?

Back