• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigBadBaz

Hi all. I am finally switching from Vista to 7 and I think it's time to get a SSD as well. I've looked at a few threads and this is what I came up with.

First, my constraints:
1. I have just filled up my 50GB OS partition, so I think a 60GB may be pushing it. Do you agree?
2. Budget. Of course money has to be an issue :(. I CANNOT spend over $200, and the cheaper the better (I really shouldn't even spend 200).

The drives:
1. OCZ Vertex 2 60GB
2. Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 60GB

I think I would just go with the OCZ because I like the company and with the rebate that drive is cheaper.

3. OCZ Vertex 2 90GB

This is the drive I'm leaning towards. Will be large enough and about $170 with 10% off. Only weird thing is it's a 3.5"?

4. OCZ Vertex 2 120GB

I WANT it :drool:. But I don't think I can justify it. Also a 3.5"?

Any and all advice, recommendations, other drives I should look at, etc. please speak up.

Thanks in advance!

Yea I wouldnt get the 3.5 form factor. You should be able to pick up an Agilty 2 for $200, a 120 gig one.

What's wrong with the 3.5"? I know it's weird, but is there some reason not to get it? I have no real basis for saying this, but I would assume it's the 2.5" in a conversion kit?

As for the Agility 2, it's basically the same price as the Vertex 2, and I thought the Vertex 2 is supposed to be better?

How are you choosing drives? I haven't done any comparisons lately, but mr alpha gave a good introductory on drive choices a few months ago:
http://www.overclockers.com/choosing-solid-state-drive/

I looked through some threads and these seemed to be what's recommended. I just glanced through that article and it seems to agree with me. I haven't finished reading it yet, though...

Thanks for the posts guys!

EDIT: mr alpha doesn't seem to mention the Vertex 2 90 at all.

Also, I'm running out of time, I sorta have to order in the next hour or so.

Do you think the 60 will be enough? Or should I go for the 90?

Last edited:
The reason I didn't mention the 90 is that there wasn't a 90GB option when I wrote that article.

If I were you I would go with the 90GB. It is a good option. You don't want your C: drive to be completely full. You need room for temporary files and cache files and such that get generated when you run programs.

"Speak of the Devil and he shall appear." :D

Thank you Mr. Alpha, OCZ Vortex 2 90GB it is!

BTW, do you know if there's any difference between the 2.5" and the 3.5"?

And just out of curiosity, do you know what the over provisioning is?

I assume it has 96GB of flash on it. That would add up nicely to flash chip sizes as well as having the same over provisioning percentage and the 120GB and 60GB drives.

So I went to order it from Newegg, typed in my 10% coupon and nothing happens. I chat with costumer service, they say "Unfortunately, the funds for that code have been depleted so that promo code is no longer valid." :temper:

Back