• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another dead ssd/write protect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoobydoo

my second ocz solid just died a few weeks ago. i had bought 2 about 16 months ago and the first one died after 2 months. i rma'ed and just sold the replacement

the second was working well in my laptop, but a few weeks ago i came home and the laptop was off and wouldn't reboot into windows

i took out the ssd and tried an external enclosure and nothing, seems the sata connections are toast. i then hooked it up using the usb port and the pc can see the drive, but i cant format, delete anything because it is "write protected"

i have tried everything to disable this write protection so i can format/zero and rma the drive without fear of losing personal info.

i only have a few months left before the warranty expires and considering i paid $100 each for these drives i would really like to rma before it expires

has anyone run into this write protection problem before and managed to disable it long enough to format a drive?

Capture4.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Last edited:
Have you tried the secure erase command?

I believe SSDs may write protect themselves when they notice that they run out of write cycles to stop data loss. This may be what has happened to you. Or maybe it is just a false positive and it thinks it has run out of write cycles.

Back