• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenadjian Jr.

Registered
Hi guys, just after a little bit of advice on some ram, i'm building a new computer the motherbourd i'm looking at is the Asus M4A89TD-PRO-USB3 i want to put DDR 2000 ram in it and would like some help chosing all i now is i want about 8 to 12 GB and the ram to have tight timings if you can point me in the right derection it would be very much appreciated

Regards Sean

Unless you benchmark, dont get DDR3 2k ram. It wont show any performance gains over DDR3 1600 really. Save your money.

Also, that board you listed is dual channel so unless there are 3GB sticks out or you mix and match 4GB and 2GB sticks, you cant have 12GB.

Why do you think you need so much ram? 4GB is fine for 95% of people. Saying you dont need it, I would just get the cheapest 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL7 ram you can find.

I havn't built a computer since i was 16 (I'm 23 now) i am giong to build a pritty mean gaming computer so i figurd i needed about 8 gig for it. if i did put 12GB in it couldn't i just use three 4GB sticks????

If you are only gaming and such on it, go with 4GB. If you will be doing heavy rendering or running resource intensive VM's, then I would look in to more. 4GB is the sweet spot now for that platform.

Not without losing dual channel I believe, no. However I recall hearing something about the two sticks would be in dual and the one would be in single but...not sure if thats true and if it is, there would be a performance difference and not worth it only to have more ram (that is likely not even going to be used).

ok then any recomendations on brands of ram with tight timings? i was looking OCZ as this is what i used when i was younger

you can get good 2k ram at 9 timings for 115 that will do 1600 7 cas easily, most the time your gonna pay the same for both of those sets at both of those timings and frequencies anyway...

Back