• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Mobo Opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

=XAF=AfterShock

so after scraping some cash together I am finally ready to place an order. I drooled over the asus crosshair iv forumula but the price doesn't seem to be worth it. So I'm left with the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5or BIOSTAR TA890FXE, I've heard good things about all three but would like to hear from people who actually have experience with these, or if you have a better suggestion I'm all ears, I have a couple days before I place my order. And yes the board will be overclocked to hell and back so voltage regulation and cooling are important.

I would avoid Gigabyte boards. I've had 5 of them, and 3 of them have died on me, and the other developed a very noisy chipset fan. Buy an Asus, they seem to be better quality. You don't have to buy the most expensive Asus board either.

I've had the mobo in my Sig for awhile now, haven't had any problems and love it for overclocking.

I would say avoid MSI at all freaking costs - but Asus is good too :)

yeah, MSI isn't an option, after my past experience with receiving 2 DOA boards in a row I consider them to be a fisher price brand. The only problem I've ever had with gigabyte was a short lived chipset fan and the dual bios took a crap so I was welcomed with a page of cmos errors on every boot but that was back in the Socket A days. I generally prefer asus as I'm most familiar with those but I've heard equally good things about asus and gigabyte lately.

The Crosshair is an excellent board but not really needed for good OC'ing. The ASUS M4A89TD is the one you want to look at - out of stock at Newegg, though.
Edit:
They've just updated them all to the "PRO" board - my bad:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131655

Guess I'd go with the Gigabyte but no personal experience with any of them - just lots and lots of reading ... ;)

Last edited:
I think all 3 would be good choices. Keep hearing good things about that Biostar

yeah its a tough decision lol the M4A89TD sounds just as solid as the crosshair minus a few features I wouldn't need like buttons on the mobo, it may come down to flipping coins in the end.

When people ask which is better, the Gigabyte you listed or the ASUS I listed that's pretty much what I recommend - flip a coin, they're both good boards ... :)

I think all 3 would be good choices. Keep hearing good things about that Biostar

I was seriously torn for the longest time on getting the Biostar I45 Mobo after seeing that insane OC that made headlines (I think it was 600Mhz FSB?)

Ultimately I went with Gigabyte because I knew it would work, didn't know much about Biostar or used any of their products prior to that.

I decided on the crosshair iv because thats what the quarter landed on. As always I will machine polish the heatsinks and replace the bubbleyum they use with mx2. any issues after that I will rma the board with either the ud5 or M4A89TD. Has anyone ever heard of the biostar actually starting on fire? I don't believe it but that would be pretty funny

I have had this giga board in my signature for a while its a great overclocker. I would stay away for MSI and ECS. Biostar is ok and Gigabyte is always good.

The biostar thing i hear was a joke that got out of hand

yeah I guess the same could have happened to the crosshair boards with that northbridge mounting issue that seems to still not have been resolved except for the extreme version. I didn't consider that a serious issue because I already plan to increase the mounting pressure slightly but if I was just planning to slap it in a case and go overclocking it could end up being a serious waste of time but any issues besides that and I will rma it for a gigabyte board and give them a try since its been years and I've never had any issues with gigabyte except chipset fans dying within a week or 2 but the ud5 doesn't have one so that wouldn't be a problem.

Back