• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sager NP5135 - Official Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PrometheuSBoxeR

Here is my original post:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657763

Official specs of the laptop:

Display: 15.6” Full HD LED Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video: 1GB DDR3 Nvidia GeForce GT 425M GPU with Optimus Technology / Embedded Intel HD Graphics with Shared Memory up to 1.7GB
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-560M Processor ( 32nm, 3MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz / 3.20GHz Turbo Mode )
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 X 2GB
Harddrive: 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
Optical Drive: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Card: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module\
Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth V2.1 Module
Battery: Smart Li-ION Battery Pack (6 Cells 62.16WH)

Price: $1007.00 Shipped

I received the laptop, and decided to do my own personal review on it. I have never done a review of anything before so bear with me.

The packaging and shipment:

98kzal.jpg

ABQARl.jpg

h5rUQl.jpg

1kGaMl.jpg

HKwE6l.jpg

P5Qasl.jpg

The packaging was great, everything was included. No marks or dents, or anything of the sorts. The screen was layered with 2 protective sheets.

Initial thoughts:

9YKaFl.jpg

VqI72l.jpg

639kGl.jpg

My initial thoughts were nothing but great. The laptop itself feels very solid, it's about 5.6 pounds I believe for the 15.6" screen. The screen folding up and down is very stable, it's secure at any degree angle. The finish is a interesting texture. It's a hard plastic of sorts - it feels a little grainy.

Keyboard and touchpad:

The keyboard is fairly solid. I have big hands and I'm a bigger guy, I think I've always been a heavier typer. I feel a little flex in the keyboard when typing, but it's not to the point where it feels unstable. I would say it's expected. The backspace key does have a very tiny squeak I think it might just need a little lube of sorts. I decided to mess around in Word and just test out my accuracy and words a minute. I can type pretty darn fast, I usually type at around 110 WAM on a regular keyboard, I didn't feel any slowdown on the keyboard. Occasionally I would tap the touchpad with my thumb and it would cause me to break apart the sentence and would have to pause for a moment. (I have always been a mouse/keyboard kind of guy), I hooked up my mouse and easily disabled the touchpad with a push of a button, and it's much better to my standards)

The touchpad is not multi touch, so if you are used to a mac by holding 2 fingers on it and such it will disrupt the mouse. I didn't get a chance to mess around with the touchpad drivers and such, i'm not 100% sure on all the support options yet. Overall, it is a solid touchpad after some mild use you get used to it. I like the keyboard, but there is a tiny amount of flex. I personally would rather have 0 flex at all. I'm a little biased because I like keyboards.

After installment:

ynBw0l.jpg

Y5WSnl.jpg

q9STgl.jpg

kjKBel.jpg

3vPMxl.jpg

TuT9Vl.jpg

I did a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition, I had to install the wireless driver - then I got the rest of the drivers through the internet seeing as I always go for the latest. (Half the time the disks they send you are 10 drivers old) One thing that confuses me and I don’t like is the fact that you must get the 425M drivers through Sager’s website. I tried to install the drivers off Nvidias site with 0 luck. It says hardware is undetected. I called up Sager and they said they do not support Nvidia drivers, so I must get it through their website. Which I did without problem, and installed just fine. Just something I’ve never experienced before. It’s advertised as Nvidia Gefore 425M, but obviously it’s not Nvidias.

I ran 3DMark06 with the integrated video card and got a score of ~1600
I ran 3DMarks06 with the discrete video card and my score was ~6500

Display and Screen:

Bs33Kl.jpg

I am very very pleased with the screen of the laptop. It’s crystal clear at 1920x1080. Honestly, it’s a little too small for my liking at 15.6” so I decided to mess around and put it at 1650x1080 which I am a lot more comfortable with. Through the option to keep the screen resolution to scale, it looks great even not at native resolution. I played a little bit on SC2 with Medium settings at 1650x1080 and was pretty happy with the results. I’m biased because I’ve experienced first hand serious gaming on a top notch desktop, and you really can’t compare the two.

Conslusion:

For the price, it’s really hard to beat the laptop. It’s fast, it’s battery is decent, it feel solid, the screen is great, and overall it’s a nice laptop with a above average video card with Optimus. Which I might add - Optimus worked just as expected, swapped seamlessly between tasks. Sager’s support was responsive and nice, they seem very reachable via the phone. I did this review at work, so it’s limited, and I’m not a avid reviewer to begin with, but if you have any questions I’ll try and answer them.

Also note, Sager offers a 30 day full refund, minus shipping if you aren’t satisfied.

Back