• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these 2 laptops would be better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xilonian

I plan on playing a few newer games such as 14d, possibly crysis, devil may cry 4, possibly cod black ops if i can handle it. Here are 2 different laptops that are currently the same price. I am totally fine playing on medium / medium low. Screen size is a non issue for me. I posted a few details on each and full specs are available on the newegg links. Trying to stay in the $750 range. Getting a higher gfx card that has a noticeable difference gets the price too high.

Code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214043
Intel Core i3 370M(2.40GHz) 
15.6" 
4GB Memory DDR3 1066 
500GB HDD 5400rpm (will be replacing with an ssd)
DVD Super Multi 
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115864
AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N950(2.1GHz) 
17.3" 
4GB Memory DDR3 1066 
500GB HDD 5400rpm (replacing with an ssd)
DVD Super Multi 
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Last edited:
The Core I3 will be faster at games, but the Phenom has a bigger screen and is definatly no slouch either, so it's a tough call.

Personally I would go with the Phenom becaues while the Core I3 is faster, the major question is how many FPS faster is it going to be and to me, for the same price, I say the extra screen size is worth more than the few extra FPS.

are you going to be mobile at all with it? or just using it at home on a desk.

This is a big consideration, as well the AMD has a higher resolution and with both having the same GPU it will take a bigger hit in games.

gonna be somewhat portable though i wont be taking it everywhere. Leaning towards the bigger screen size. I might end up going HDMI to my tv since I have a cable.

17'' screen is awesome until you start hauling it around college or work. If it will be a desktop replacement I'd go with the 17'' because you won't be moving it around with you as often. If I was in need of a semi portable gaming rig I'd go with the 15'' because its 2'' off my back which is 2 pounds lighter.

15'' - 5.48lbs
17'' - 7.26lbs

Back