• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow SMP2 client

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hughvh

After folding for years using the standard 6.23 console client, I decided to start using the SMP2 console client on my gaming rig. I'm concerned about how slow the SMP2 client is performing. About 50 hours for a 2,000,000 WU.

Another forum thinks I'm having processor problems. I'm not sure that I buy that since all other applications fly this PC. Here is my setup:

AMD Phenom II x4 940
4GB memory, DDR2 800
ATI 4770 graphics card.
Windows 7, 64-bit.

Grant my memory is slow, but should that effect folding?

My question is: what troubleshooting steps should I take to get my PC folding faster.

First, what WU is it? The steps in a WU don't generally correspond to the length of time it takes to fold. Your cpu isn't the greatest folder, but should make respectable ppd, and a lot more than it would on Uniprocessor WUs.
Check task manager and ensure nothing is stealing cpu cycles from the FahCore_a3 process. It should be running 99% all the time. Get HFM to monitor the client. Make sure all power saving is turned off in bios and Win 7 is set to high performance.

Memory has some effect on folding, but only a few percent.

I don't have data on a cpu of your type, but a Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz does p6701, the slowest SMP WU out there at about 13:55/frame while running a 8800GTS (g92) folding p10110. You should be no more than twice that time.

First, what WU is it?

Is this what you are looking for?

Project: 6701 (Run 51, Clone 36, Gen 46)

It look 50 hours to run that project.

CPU cycles are at zero when idle. I will go download HFM and see what stats it produces.

Nice to talk to folks who know their stuff.

Some similar AMD processor numbers:

Name: Charmed AthlonIIx4-635 @ 2.9GHz
Path: \\ROBIN-PC\Folding SMP\
Number of Frames Observed: 300

Min. Time / Frame : 00:15:34 - 4,064 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:17:54 - 3,296 PPD

Name: Outback PhenomIIx4-965 @ 3.4GHz
Path: K:\Folding SMP\
Number of Frames Observed: 300

Min. Time / Frame : 00:14:41 - 4,436 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:17:31 - 3,405 PPD

About 28 hours of work time on these processors. (p6701 is a rather poorly performing unit) But it shouldn't take anywhere near 50, unless you're doing a LOT of other stuff while it Folds.

p6701 is the slowest, so that is at least some of the low production you're seeing. I went looking for reported numbers for Phenom II x 4 and found one user who took 42 hours to fold p6701 on a 955 at stock (3200 MHz), and another reporting ppd in the 6000 range on the better WUs with an OC. So yours does seem a bit low.

CPU cycles at idle doesn't help me much. What was it when folding? :)

I'm assuming you are not folding on the GPU. ATi GPUs kill SMP performance unless they are set up exactly right.

I downloaded HFM and folded project 6023 with the following results:

Min. Time / Frame : 00:06:05 - 6,140.6 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:06:25 - 5,668.4 PPD

I guess I'm not having processor issues. Before HFM I was using EOC for benchmarking. So I look at EOC and I was only awarded 431 points. I wonder why there is a discrepancy?

Yes. Tou have to fold ten a3 WUs with a passkey to qualify for the bonus. Your performance looks fine

Back