• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead CPU or Dead MB - XP 1600+/Soltek SL-DRV2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drosne01

Disabled
Last night my system stopped working, and I'm not sure if it's the CPU or the Mobo. Here's what happened:

The system was running Windows XP with no problem, but I was running kind of hot (55C) at the default clockspeed while under load, so I took off the heatsink and removed the thermal pad that came with the HS and applied some generic white thermal paste instead.

I guess I didn't apply enough of it because when I rebooted it was registering temps between 60-65 before it crashed. I shut it down quickly and reapplied a little more paste, but it never started back up.

When I power on, the hard drives spin up and the fans turn on, but it never checks the floppy drive or turns on the monitor, or beeps, or does anything.

I've been trying to figure out what is damaged--the mobo or the CPU. Visually, the cpu doesn't look heat damaged or anything, but I guess that doesn't rule out the fact that it could be. I have tried removing and reinstalling all of the components, but I can't get the motherboard to beep or anything to confirm that it is still ok.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Soltek SL-DRV2 mobo
1 stick of 256mb Corsair DDR2400
Maxtor 17gb udma66 hard drive
3D Blaster RIVA TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card
Plextor 12x burner
Thermalright SK-6 HS with Sanyo Denki 19cfm fan (damn quiet!)
Antec 300 watt power supply

Try a different CPU. If it works then your CPU is dud.

PF

PS Welcome to the forums! :D

Have you got a neighbour/friend with a Socket A system?

Check your motherboard manual - does it suggest any beep codes for dud CPU?

Try refitting the CPU - double check that everything is fitted right, and the Clear CMOS jumper is in the correct position.

Try clearing the CMOS is the system wont boot.

Check all plugs & switches.

CMOS cleared, and everything has been checked and refitted and then checked again. Still having the same problem....

Thanks

one thing about the radio shack paste (if thats what u used) more is NOT better.
the cpus should be able to handle 65°C without a problem for a short amout of time.

I know

Hey...

I had the exact problem on an ECS K7S5A. The motherboard isn't bad...it's the chip. I returned the chip and got a replacement XP 1700+ instead of my 1600+ but I think I know what my problem was. On your chip you might wanna check if there is anything touching the bridges...maybe a bit of thermal paste (the golden bridges that is). One way to check if your CPU has shat itself is to look under the chip...I never tried to fix mine because I thought to myself it's better to replace it for free...If you have voided the warranty I'd suggest looking at the bridges because it's definantely your CPU at fault...

Give it a try...

Ga][ium

Thanks for the tip. I gave the cpu a good cleaning following this guide:

http://www.tweakmonster.com/articles/cpucleaning/

...but to no success. Still the same problem. I ordered another XP 1600 (120 bucks down the toilet...oh well), and I'll be trying it out in the next few days.

Everything does look OK on the chip, on top and on the bottom. No signs of heat damage or anything, so I'm really stumped on this one.

If anyone else has any suggestions, definitely let me know!

Seems like a dead chip sorry!

But heres a future tip. Read ASII instructions on how to apply thermal paste. The more you add the less effective it becomes.

Your objective is to fill the core with a minimum use of thermal paste.

I just installed the a new XP 1600+ chip and everything works fine. The old one is definitely fried.

On the downside, I'm out 110 bucks, but on the upside, I have the ultimate case sticker....

Right now the system's running at 1589mhz (10.5 X 151) and shows 40C idle, 46C load.

The HS is a thermalright SK6 and the fan is a Sanyo Denki 19cfm (quiet!)

Not too bad if you ask me....

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Back