• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firmware hacking... can it be discussed here???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatter256

Special Member
Any tools out there that would allow me to explore the hard drive's firmware via hex editor?

I'd like to find something out.

Any tools out there that would allow me to explore the hard drive's firmware via hex editor?

I'd like to find something out.

I don't see why not...we hack BIOS all the time. As long as it's not to do evil things.

I don't see why not...we hack BIOS all the time. As long as it's not to do evil things.

This falls along the line of unlocking CPU cores, but unlocking possible hidden space in a HDD.... but it has to be confirmed that it is what's being done and only way to tell is to play around with the firmware of a HDD :).

This falls along the line of unlocking CPU cores, but unlocking possible hidden space in a HDD.... but it has to be confirmed that it is what's being done and only way to tell is to play around with the firmware of a HDD :).

We unlock CPUs as well. I'm no moderator...but I think this will fly. By the way, I have heard a bit about what your looking into, seemed like "unlocked" extra space was sometimes hit and miss and could end very poorly. With the price of hard drives today I'm not sure it's worth the effort. :shrug:

But I am curious! Post on (unless the green monsters tell you to stop).

I'm looking for tools, basically. Software taht either works in DOS mode or in Windows that enables me to locate the firmware and write to it.

So, if I am reading this right, you are looking for something similar to MCSE (Media Code Speed Edit), but to work with HDD's or SSD's instead of optical drives?

So, if I am reading this right, you are looking for something similar to MCSE (Media Code Speed Edit), but to work with HDD's or SSD's instead of optical drives?

Yes. Something like that, where it will read the firmware ROM and create a file of it where I can then look at it through a hex editor or something and change/view things in the rom file and then go back and write the modified ROM back on the chip.

I don't know if it's possible, but have you tried using MCSE to open the firmware? You would have to have a place to get it from, since MCSE doesn't read firmware off the hardware, if I remember right. I haven't used it since my last optical change, and it was just to disable Rip-Lock.

Back