• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Inspiration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jfmn24

Hi there.
I am new to overclocking and would like to post some things I have discovered in order to prehaps help others. Forgive me if anything I post is wrong and as usual please correct me.

1. There are 5 very important factors to consider before you decide to overclock.

A. Your Motherboard must be of sufficient build quality and specification to support and enable an overclock. There are many variables here. If in doubt check your manufacturers web site to see if the hardware you are using is suitable. If not forget an overclock.

B. every processor is different ( even within model numbers and stepping numbers) what this means is that you cannot apply another persons overclock figures to your cpu and expect it to run. (even if your system specs are identical) You can however use anothers figures as a guide or framework to begin your overclock.

C. Ram must be of high enough quality to support an overclock. i also strongly recommend that all ram used is ''matched'' as this will help keep any overclock stable.

D. Cooling. I am sure you are all aware that in general stock cpu heatsinks/fans are not good for overclocking. There are ways you can modify stock cooling to achieve better results. I strongly recommend investing in a better cooling system whether that be air cooling, liquid cooling or another method. The last thing you want to do is cook your cpu!

Finally I will say this. Overclocking can be the most rewarding thing any pc enthusiast can do with their hardware. It gives your machine that personal touch that no purchased item can ever achieve. It is not for the faint hearted or the meek.

Dont give up!!

Last edited:
Looks pretty accurate. :thup:

Ram quality could be considered less important however to your CPU overclock - you can usually tweak you memory ratio to take it easy on the RAM and still get more from the CPU. Of course, if you think the extra memory bandwidth is important for your purpose, you'll want better ram so you can run it at 1:1 frequency.

And don't forget the GPU! ;)

Back