• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: XFX 6870 Very Low Frame Rates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idiotsniff

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can help out or help me figure out what's going on. i've done everything I feel possible so far. other then a 10.10b hot fix I just found out about. a friend is borrowing my 6870 to test on his AMD x4 3.1Ghz setup.

anyways, I'm playing in Medal of Honor that 2010 special edition or whatever is it. i've called xfx and they said I should be maxing that games 62fps in single player mode. even with my systems specs because its not very cpu intensive he said.

here is my specs:
CPU = Intel E8400 3.0Ghz/even tried OC'd to 3.6Ghz same result
Motherboard = Asus P5Q Deluxe with latest firmware
Ram = Patriot Extreme Performace viper PC8500 1066mhz ram
Video Card = xfx 6870 900/1050mhz
PSU = Aerocool zerodba 620watt
HDDs = 1TB Black OS drive, have unhooked all my other drives in hope to figure out this problem and need a new PSU due to the number of drives i have.
OS = Windows 7 ultimate x64

I'm playing at 1920x1200 everything is maxed out as far as quality, 4xAA tho.
the game always freezes for about 5-10 seconds about 30seconds to a minute into the game. It sometimes does this again during the game a few more times throughout but not always. I was getting random reboots and random lockups also. I have tried a different PSU 625 watt enermax and 920 watt enermax and I'm getting the same issues thinking maybe a power supply issue.

I am currently borrowing a friends 8800GTS 640mb card and I get 39-48 fps consistently. and i've tried my dads 9600GT 512mb card on his exact same setup as mine other then the 625watt enermax PSU and I got very good frame rates as well. both cards tested on 1920x1200 with same settings.

I have called xfx they seem to think its a card issue. and want me to take it back to the place I got it. but ncix says deal with xfx for their products? but xfx seems to think they'll do an exchange or at least push it. I've been calling ncix for 4 days now and there is no body available at that extension and they sure don't wanna call me back, I've left 4 bloody msg's. i'll have to do online rma I guess but I really wanted to speak to someone personally.

anyways, my friend that is trying the 6870 on his AMD system says its maxing the frames at 62fps on his computer. at same resolution with max settings.

so at this point I really don't know what to do. I have to wait till I get a hold of ncix to see if they'll exchange it or not. but i'll prob have to pay an arm and a leg to ship back to xfx in cali. but hopefully not. I'm going to try this 10.10b hot fix when I get my card back later today or tomorrow. but wondering if anyone else has any info help or anything.

oh one more thing, I saw a video on youtube with a 6850 on MOH running 1920x1200 I believe with max settings and he was getting 62fps max frames also on that so I msg'd and told him my issue, he told me to go to xfx website because they have an explanation for my issue. I have gone and looked and can't find anything. either logged in and searching for my serial number support files or just looking for news but cannot find anything. so i've emailed him back asking what/where is he talking exactly.

if anyone has any suggestions i'd really appreciate the help,

thank you,

Last edited:
thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

i don't have my 6870 in the computer right now. but when i check it shows x16 for the link width.

i've got my friends 8800GTS installed right now. could it change with another card installed? its in the x16 slot? and i don't think there is an option in the bios to set it for any slower.

I'll be getting my card back tomorrow, so i'll try it again then.

thanks again,

Joel

redduc900,

Just got my 6870 back from my friend.

anyways CPUz shows x16 just like the 8800GTS did

so i really don't know what to do from here? he says the card was getting 60-62 fps in MOH at 1920x1200 with max quality settings. and was getting 100 fps in Dirt 2 same resolution with max settings.

so, i'm really stumped on what to do next. I also installed the 10.10d hotfix from AMD's site with no luck.

getting very low frames still.

what would u suggest now?

thanks again for the help

When I got my 6850 I set everything for the highest quality in the CCC. This ended up being the wrong thing to do. Under the anti Aliasing Mode, if you use the slider all the way to the right, you use Supersampling. This killed my frame rates, as soon as I moved it to Performance, all the way to the left, everything was fixed. Check that setting.

Do the above and make sure your AAMode (in CCC - 3D option) is set to Multi-sample and not Super-sample.

What video card were you running before buying this 6870? Did you wipe the old drivers with Driver Cleaner? It sounds like you could have some driver conflicts going on and/or something in software settings.

Is your GPU being fully utilized? Install MSI Afterburner and make sure it's running at the full spec speeds (it shows on the OSD).

Back