• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drives LOST (Help!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hillsdale

SO I bought a raid card to connect some more hard drives and When I recently reinstalled my OS the Hard drive that was connected to it was lost, Couldnt find it anywhere. Further investigation showed the hard drive (In Acronis Disk Director) but there was no way to recover the precious files on that hard drive. So I thought maybe if i plug it right into the board, So i did that and it still didnt show up. I go back to the hard drive i had to unplug and now THAT hard drive isnt showing up either!! Please help I have all my media on these hard drives!

I would just take a magnifying glass to the hard drive disc so you can just write down the words.

..or set it up as slave

When you do this, make sure not to initialize the drive in Windows. If it recognizes the partition information, that's fine, just don't make changes to the drive. If the partition R-Studio, others use Get Data Back among others. The demo will allow you to see if the files can be pulled prior to purchase. You can also try PC-Inspector from Convar as a freeware option. Various bootable nix distros can also allow recovery. Just remember, do not write to the drive.

Dont know if im fully understanding the problem (bit of a nooooob), but if you want to pull the data back from the drive, i use a great program called ZAR (zero access recovery or somthing), pulled my entire harddrive back twice when for some reason it randomly decided that there was nothing on it, not entirely sure on the forums rules on pirate bay etc so im not promoting that here. But its well worth the money if you buy it, helped me a lot

When you do this, make sure not to initialize the drive in Windows. If it recognizes the partition information, that's fine, just don't make changes to the drive. If the partition R-Studio, others use Get Data Back among others. The demo will allow you to see if the files can be pulled prior to purchase. You can also try PC-Inspector from Convar as a freeware option. Various bootable nix distros can also allow recovery. Just remember, do not write to the drive.

Ok so Once the program finds the files, is there any way I can get them all back onto that hard drive so they are visible again or do i have to move them to another drive, completely partition the drive the files were on and then put them back?

With recovery, never write anything to the original drive. Decently written recovery programs will not allow writes to the original drive. Normally, if a drive has had partition problems, removing everything is the safest route in any event. The partition table could be functional for a time and then foul up again. It's best to be completely safe.

Back