• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOT chips, 4200+ Brisbane.. could make tea with it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuerteStuart

Registered
Hi folks,

Here is my original thread from a few years back..
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551955

Since then, the rig has been downgraded to my spare and only used for data storage and video encoding to DVD from an old VHS player. whilst doing my latest DVD I noticed the temps:shock:

Its stable as hell (and as hot), no lock ups, crashes, or even slow downs.
Just wondered if anyone else had got these chips to burn out? I'm not worried about the rig as I could do with an excuse to get a new one anyway.. maybe I should keep pushing to it blows?:mad:

BTW, this isn't the first chip I've put through hell.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549547
And that rig still goes. Its still used for the occasional retro gaming night.

Looks to me like your die temp sensor is poorly calibrated. If you could please post back a Core Temp screenshot with both idle and load temps. The Brisbanes were known for inaccurate temp sensors but usually only by 5 degrees or so. Is the heatsink/fan very dusty? Was the load temp before much lower? Is it overclocked? What heatsink/fan are you using? I notice the motherboard sensor (Winbond) says load temp of ~75C this is probably more accurate, but the nVidia CPU sesnor says 85C...:shrug: the max temp for that processor I believe is 65C. I think it should thermal throttle if it gets to hot (drop the multiplier).

Last edited:

Just remembered after running Core temp, that I eased back the overclock after relegating the rig to the occasionally used spare.

All other details are in my sig or the original threads mentioned above. It wont throttle down.. thats turned off.
Its seated right, was running ~55'c full load.. a bit dusty now, but not as bad as ive seen other rigs.
2 case fans running fine, could use it as a hair dryer though :thup:

Oh, and If I remember right, Core temp gave low temps on these chips.. ~10'c or so I think???

I believe that was fixed with one of the updates (could be wrong). I would have thought that at 80C a brissy would throttle or shut down one of the 2 :shrug:. Above 65C is considered hot for those guys.

I believe that was fixed with one of the updates (could be wrong). I would have thought that at 80C a brissy would throttle or shut down one of the 2 :shrug:. Above 65C is considered hot for those guys.

Im still using the version of Core Temp from 2008 when I set up the rig.

It cant be throttling down, as its not affecting encoding times of the video editing.
:-/

its been running 100% load for 3 lots of 50 minutes in a row now, with a max of 10 mins inbetween sessions.
Im also using MSN live, Skype, Firefow (multi tabs), Open office, Photoshop (and printing) as well as many other small progs. no crashes, or program errors. Dual screen too. no issues.

:shrug:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Burn baby burn!:rofl:

HWMonitor seems to be having problems but Core Temp is pretty close to the CPU temp - close enough to insure it's not reading something incorrectly.

It looks like that "a bit dusty now" is worth 20-25°C - and don't forget the dust on the case fans, too. Nothing like a stuffy case to run the core temps up ... ;)

Back