• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 960

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr@kt@L

help overclock i7 960 or rampage 2 extreme with ddr3 1600 cl8 corsair dominators.
i was an user of 775 socket - q9550 fan oc to 4.1 on rampage formula x48, but i am new in 1366 socket, any advice will be great :grouphug:

Get rid of all the power saving features including turbo boost. 200 bclk x 20 multiplier. Set the RAM to 1600mhz with XMP enabled. Set the DRAM voltage to 1.65, VTT to 1.3v and CPU vCore to 1.27v. If it's unstable then keep raising voltages and fine tune settings like how you did in socket 775. Get rid of auto for a lot of settings so it doesn't fluctuate the overclock. Monitor temps and run Prime 95 and see what happens. Tell me how it goes.

i set up your setting, on 4ghz, with xmp enabled, i put more voltage to cpu 1.325 but
vtt on rampage 2 is qpidram ?? or what called vtt on this mobo, i put there 1.33 to qpi
and prime around 1 hour stable but the cores is very hot everest show me around 87 C temp, i use H50 with 2 fan or radiator
i try hit 4.2 but black screen prime, what can i do more ?
thanx for your advice

Usually Core i7 D0's get to 4ghz at 1.27v at least. Bump QPI to 1.35 and drop the CPU to 1.3v. You can show pictures of your BIOS.

Get rid of speed step for better stability. For the QPI freq use the lowest setting and I don't know what unclk freq is but make sure it isn't on auto. Try to bump the QPI voltage to 1.33v and try to lower the CPU voltage to 1.27v. if you are stable and temps are fine then don't bother but I know the Core i7 960 can get lower voltages at 4ghz. You can try to overclock your memory more. Try to get the memory to 1900mhz with 9-9-9-24 timings. Really shouldn't improve anything but you want more. Or try 9-11-9-30 and see if you can push it to 2000mhz with voltage a 1.67v on the RAM. You are fine at where you are but they're little things to play with to get the best performance. What exactly do you want to be better?

i try to broke 4.2 ghz on my old system q9550 2.83 rampage formula x48 but i am ending on 4.1 stable 24 h. prime on 1.41 v core with gtls .......
my dream is around 4.4 ghz with this rig but i thix my h50 cooling is low for this, 4.2 ghz will be great with H 50

First off anything above 4ghz really won't give you much better performance and will create extreme amounts of heat. The H50 can barely handle 4ghz let alone 4.2ghz so I don't reccomend that. For benching yeah but not for daily use. Get a better cooler because the H50 is old news. A Noctua NH-D14 perhaps?

yeh but i have h50 with double fans on radiators.. on 4ghz in prime 95 in testing cores around 79 -80 C hot.. i think 4.2 ghz with my h50 will be ok.

IMO those temps are way too hot, and with another 200 Mhz you're going to be mid eighties probably. I agree that the H50, even with push/pull is not sufficient for this overclock. Also, what are idle temps like? I'm kind of biased because I do FAH 24/7, and would never run constantly that hot, but if you don't stress your cpu much...

just in prime stress testing i have arround 79-80 max, but with my h50 my old q9550 on 4.1 with 1.41 vcore cooled perfectly, for now i am on my i7 4ghz with 1.29v (big Term..thx) and i want get more but i dont know how. i try change ram timming, increase vcore, but still blue screen

You have a lot of multiplier room, i'd play with it some. Some i7's prefer lower bclk and higher multi.

i try to set 25 x 160 to 4ghz prime blue screen after few minutes. 24 multy the same what can i do ?
20 x 200 1.3 v stable prime and cpu core temp around 78-83 C in stress tests

Last edited:
Really the H50 is supposed to be where the exhaust fan is intaking cold outside the case and dumping warm air in the case. Have you tried that method? The H50 has it's limitations. Even the H70 would get 80c at 4.2ghz. Unless you put 150cfm fans then your temps will be too high. The higher you go the more voltage you will need for the next 100mhz then before. 4ghz is great and really enough for any hardcore gamer or number cruncher. Q9550 runs cooler because it doesn't have HT. The HT alone and the improved memory controller in the i7's give at least a 50% increase from last generation so how much more you need. Have you been able to get the voltage down to 1.27 on the vCore yet? That should drop temps and power consumption a good deal.

yes i understand, i think about something better then h50, i want put just to 4.2 ghz, not more, because my record 4.1 on quad, and newer get 4.2 but with my rig for now i can get this :), ye, need better cooling, thanx, and about voltage, i try to put 1.27 and prime crash, i dont understand why, when i put back to 1.32 is no problem,, big term, where is my VTT in bios, it is a : QPI dram voltage ?
-and i try to bump to 4.2 but still crass after few minutes prime...

Bump QPI voltage to 1.33v and try to lower the CPU vCore voltage. 1.3v might be your chips threshold or your Mobo's. Lots of factors go into having low voltages. What two fans do you use on your cooler and are you using the pre applied thermal paste or better paste?

Back