• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A PSU problem or other?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDluvr

Registered
Hey guys.

I have the following in my desktop:
1TB (C:)
500GB (B:)
2x 250GB RAID0 (G:)
2x 2TB RAID1 (S:)
8GB DDR3 4x2GB
ATi 6850 1GB
AMD 955 Black Edition @3200
650w Power supply
Optical drive

For a while my desktop was working fine then I put in the 6850 and the 2x 2TB drives and now I seem to be having problems on my computer. All the drives assed disk check, but the PC would restart. The BIOS would say it was due to overclocking, but it's not currently overclocked. I tried reinstalling windows n the 1TB drive and got the error:

0xC000000F Unable to start hardware.

After getting this message repeatedly I saw a person mention a failing HDD and another saying it was a Power supply problem. I unplugged the power from my 1TB and installed Windows to the 500GB HDD and it worked fine.

Should I believe this is a failing HDD or due to the power supply not being able to power all of the stuff in my PC properly? I had been gaming on the desktop earlier that day with no problem.

A single HDD should not draw more than 15w but this depends on the speed of the drive. Also the 6850 draws about 220w at max load, what gpu were you previously using? But this totally depends on what psu you are using since a poor quality 750w psu can be outperformed by a high quality 500w psu.

I'll check the brand when I get home. I previously had an ATi 4850 512MB. I used a PS calc online and it said I was using 512w at full bore. Should I maybe look at a 800w PS?

I'd suggest an actual card for raid and not to use the mobo. They are not cheap though but with your setup I'd say it's worth it.

I'd suggest an actual card for raid and not to use the mobo. They are not cheap though but with your setup I'd say it's worth it.

I dont really understand how that would help. I have 2 SATA controllers on my mobo, one is a 6port SATA3 that the raids are on, the other is a 2 port SATA2 that the optical drive and the Old c:(1TB) was on.

Since I removed the power from the 1TB I haven't had any problems, yet. Why is it a bad idea to have the raid on the mobo?

Hey guys.

I have the following in my desktop:
1TB (C:)
500GB (B:)
2x 250GB RAID0 (G:)
2x 2TB RAID1 (S:)
8GB DDR3 4x2GB
ATi 6850 1GB
AMD 955 Black Edition @3200
650w Power supply
Optical drive

For a while my desktop was working fine then I put in the 6850 and the 2x 2TB drives and now I seem to be having problems on my computer. All the drives assed disk check, but the PC would restart. The BIOS would say it was due to overclocking, but it's not currently overclocked. I tried reinstalling windows n the 1TB drive and got the error:

0xC000000F Unable to start hardware.

After getting this message repeatedly I saw a person mention a failing HDD and another saying it was a Power supply problem. I unplugged the power from my 1TB and installed Windows to the 500GB HDD and it worked fine.

Should I believe this is a failing HDD or due to the power supply not being able to power all of the stuff in my PC properly? I had been gaming on the desktop earlier that day with no problem.

I wouldn't think that your system is using up all that power, *but* if your PSU was failing then in might not be delivering the actual specd power.

My first assumption would be a hardware configuration problem. obviously take out the last piece of hardware you installed, and retest, if your getting the same error, than try to eliminate as many variables as possible and you'll find the culprit.

When do you see the "hardware error"? during BIOS loadup or windows loading? or bluescreen in windows?

I wouldn't think that your system is using up all that power, *but* if your PSU was failing then in might not be delivering the actual specd power.

My first assumption would be a hardware configuration problem. obviously take out the last piece of hardware you installed, and retest, if your getting the same error, than try to eliminate as many variables as possible and you'll find the culprit.

When do you see the "hardware error"? during BIOS loadup or windows loading? or bluescreen in windows?

It would make the PC restart turing the Windows boot loader. My BIOS came up saying that it was due to an OC issue but I'm not currently OC'd. I haven't had the problem since I managed to get Windows to reinstall with a different drive for C.

Any more ideas? I'm about to run a memory check just to make sure the memory is OK, but otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Back