Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Cooling Problem...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-11-02, 05:52 PM Thread Starter   #1
MVPillman
Registered

Cooling Problem...

I HAD one fan blowing out, and my normal temp was around 40-42, and after playing games for a couple of hours, it went up to 46-47, but I never saw it go higher...

I then installed another fan, blowing in, and my temp. after playing for a few minutes was 52... The power supply was real hot...

I then changed it to blow OUT, but the temp. is still very close to the one with only one fan...

Also, for both cases with two fans, only one fan is shown on "PC Alert III" (the program I use)... but, the fan DOES work... I don't get it.. what's wrong?
MVPillman is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-11-02, 07:08 PM   #2
Voodoo Rufus
Powder Junkie Moderator

10 Year Badge

That's wierd. Where are the fans placed? If you tell me that I could help a little more.

Serious Gamers Halo Custom Edition
Green Leaves!
Voodoo Rufus is offline SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-11-02, 07:17 PM   #3
MiseryQ

This might be a little out there... But I would assume that the extra fan is interfering with smooth airflow in the case...
MiseryQ is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-11-02, 07:29 PM Thread Starter   #4
MVPillman
Registered

They are both under the power supply (below the power supply fan)...

The new onw that I added is right under, and the original one that I put in is below it... Should I place a fan on the opposite side? (by the harddrive, floppy drive)
MVPillman is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-11-02, 07:39 PM   #5
Voodoo Rufus
Powder Junkie Moderator

10 Year Badge

So basically you have three fans on the back of the case. one blowing in, the power supply and another blowing out.

Have them all blow air out. It should help. When you have one pushing and another blowing, it just circulates the air inside the case, not helping much.

Serious Gamers Halo Custom Edition
Green Leaves!
Voodoo Rufus is offline SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-11-02, 07:50 PM   #6
nihili
Inactive Doc Logic Philosophical Mod

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by MVPillman
They are both under the power supply (below the power supply fan)...

The new onw that I added is right under, and the original one that I put in is below it... Should I place a fan on the opposite side? (by the harddrive, floppy drive)
Yes, put it on the opposit side.

What you're doing right now is creating an airflow short circuit. Your exhaust fan i just blowing out the cool air that your intake fan blows in. In turn that mean that the air above your heatsink isn't circulating, it just gets recycled through the heat sink and gets hotter and hotter.

Try putting intake fans in the front and exhaust in the back and see what happens. In general you want intake fans to be as far away from exhaust fans as possible.

Also it would be helpful to know how big a case you have and what sort of places it has for fans. From what you've said, I'm guessing it's bigger than a midATX.

nihili

Dell Precision M90

Q6600 / Abit IX38QuadGT / EVGA 8800GTS(G92)512
nihili is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool