• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions and concerns regarding HTPCs & More..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PrometheuSBoxeR

Disclaimer: Please forgive me ahead of time, I already know I may ask some very dumb questions – or make a dumb statement. I honestly wouldn’t ask the question if I wasn’t sure about the answer.

I recently have acquired the “itch” to build a HTPC and/or a WHS for Media Storage. I’ve done a lot of reading and research trying to absorb all the knowledge and information I can from multiple sources. One of the major sources, being here. Being relatively new to it all (I am just your typical PC video-gamer) I am still left with some questions, concerns, and a few misunderstandings. I’m hoping in creating this thread - I can get the answers to most, if not all of them.

1) Goals

a. I want to be able to store all my movies, music, photos, documents in a centralized location (server?) with access to them through any computer (personal and HTPC, and iPhone) on the network.
b. I want to be able to browse/view/edit/save files (Microsoft Office files mostly) from any location (ie: friends house in another state). I want to think of it as a massive USB flash drive that doesn’t move, but I can use it from any computer with proper access.
c. Rip my blu-ray and non blu-ray movies onto the server and watch them at a later time without the disk from my TV/stereo system HTPC.
d. Record HDTV onto the server and watch the shows my TV/stereo system HTPC.
e. Watch HDTV through the HTPC (while recording another channel if I choose)
f. Listen to my music collection through the stereo system via remote from the server.
g. Download a video from my personal computer, store it to the server, and be able to easily access and watch it through my TV.
h. Browse the internet via wireless mouse/keyboard through TV.​

So I guess a good first question, are all my goals achievable by building a home server, and a HTPC hooked up to my TV/stereo system?

2) Connections

a. I’m still not exactly sure on how WHS are connected to the HTPC/network. Is everything done wirelessly? Ethernet? Should the WHS be next to/near the HTPC due to connectivity concerns?
b. If my goal is to have a TV/home stereo/HTPC/WHS, what gets connected to what and via what?
i. It’s my basic understanding - I will have a TV with a AV Receiver hooked up to the via HDMI (through newer receivers). A subwoofer, center speaker, front right, front left, back left, back right hooked up to the AV Receiver. A HTPC with graphics card connected to the TV, and the motherboard sound (onboard) connected to the AV Receiver. The WHS is then connected to the HTPC, serving as a hub for the HTPC to “play” whatever is on the server through the TV/speakers whether it’s music/movies etc.
c. Overall, I just want to grasp the whole understanding of how everything syncs together. I am trying to visualize the big picture.
3) Windows Home Server

a. It’s my understanding a WHS is basically boiled down to a home computer, usually with lots of storage, a less than stellar CPU, integrated graphics/cheap graphics, decent RAM, running Windows Home Server operating system.
b. I am unsure of the other options if WHS is not the best, Linux based servers? NAS? I don’t really know the difference even after looking them up. Particularly NAS vs. WHS.​

4) HTPC

a. What is needed to use a wireless remote control? I read a few things regarding IR Receivers? I couldn’t find out what the acronym IR stood for or how it works.​

I’m sure I’ll be asking more questions or looking for clarification as the discussion goes on, but for now. This is all I can think of. I appreciate any time, energy, and insight you put into helping me.

Thanks,
PrometheuSBoxeR

yes youre goals can be met. im wondering if you need the server to be able to rip movies/music or if you want to do that from any pc on the network.

from what youve told us, sounds like a NAS+htpc connected via gigabit ethernet through a switch/router is what u need.

wired gigabit is the way to go if u can swing the cabling. otherwise wireless N will be OK. location of the server wont matter except for physical access. if you go the wired route (reccommended) you would have the server and the htpc running to a switch/router with ethernet. i guess u could just straight wire teh htpc and server together, but then u would have to setup sharing internet and network thru one or the other. just much easier to use a switch/router so they are independent as far as the network goes. then all your a/v gear hooked in to the htpc. the servers drives would be "mapped" to the htpc so the htpc sees them as local drives. in fact any pc on teh network could map drives from the server simultaneously.

i havent really messed with WHS but have lots of time with NAS particularly FreeNAS. it will do everything u want, free, and can run from a usb key to free up a HDD. FreNaS has evolved into a little more than just a NAS over the years (NAS being strictly a network attached storage solution) so its more of a "server" in a sense as it can do other things than just host data.

1080p over wireless N will be iffy; although in theory by the spec it can support it, if there is any sort of non-trivial loss, or more than marginal other traffic/interference, you're going to be running into some non-clean playback. My current setup at home just has a gige switch sitting behind my router for all my important machines; and one port of that wired to a 40something port 100mb switch for unimportant machines, when I set up the htpc I just wired off of the gig switch.

If you're using windows as your server, I can't really advise much; but a very effective solution is to use a *nix OS and nfs to export your FS. windows 7 can mount nfs shares, so any media center apps based off of that should be able to handle it; and of course any nix media center solutions also would.

/end unix propaganda

Back